Question for those with broody ducks!! Update - hatching!!!

• 17 Replies

Foxy

Well I have to admit, never thought my runners would go this far....so convinced they would give up, I foolishly forgot to record day one of sitting, well by consulting the stars, (sorry joke!  :lol:) and the important candler and a fair bit of head scratching I have deduced that they can't be far off, maybe one or two days?
Well, I have 2 daft runners sitting, very primly I might add,(with a "told you so" expressions to boot  :tongue2:) and still have the drakes in there too. Should I remove the drakes? I am not sure how a drake will react to ducklings? I was thinking off popping the boys in a different run and designing a safe enclosure around the existing duck house. Complicated I know! :lol:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:39 by Foxy »

Vember

Re: Question for those with broody ducks!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 18:58 »
I'd move the drakes just to be on the safe side they can kill the babies  :ohmy: Mine have never shown any interest but I wouldn't risk it :)

Word of warning re the Mums,  Muffin is ubber skitish with babies in tow, had a few squishes here nothing damaging I hasten to add, she is very protective of them and doing a great job but she does seem to loose track of them under her feet very easily. I have to move in very slowly now if i need to get them to go in their house and stuff :)

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 19:04 »
Thanks sarah!

I have 2 mums sitting, could be interesting.... :unsure: :D

oh and THREE bantam faverolles sitting on the same eggs plus a soppy cockerel, lost track of those too! ??? :D :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 20:21 »
I also kept Patrick out but I have been letting them all have supervised time together and he has not shown much interest. He did have one or two little snaps at them and once he almost caught one and seemed more suprised than it was and changed his mind quickly and left it be.

The thing I have found is that Sally is very protective of them with me, the cat or the other ducklings which all get chased off. I have to be very careful if I have to handle them as she goes a bit nuts and attacks me and they can get caught in the crossfire. I had picked one up as it had fallen in the pond and she went for me and got hold of it really firmly by the neck and  seemed to be trying to pull it away from me (that or was just trying to savage me and missed). Luckally they are really resiliant but my heart was in my mouth for a while. I am not really careful that if I have to handle them which is really infrequently I make sure I have a hand free to sacrifice to Sally so the ducklings don't get hurt.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 20:26 »
cheers! going to sort a safe, quiet area for them. Will have to move all the ducks around, oh the boys aren't gonna be happy! :ohmy: :D

dawn 11

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 14:12 »
my baby ducks are 3weeks old and the hen dump them she is now sitting on for duck eggs  4    but the babies go and sit next to her at night     i had no eggs from my very small bantams  we look every place we could  then i went clean parrot nest box and find 14 eggs   how they got up to it we dont know    my big ducks joined the baby ducks today all is ok      will keep watch on them

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:32 »
Had a quick candle whilst mums (yes both of them!) were off the nest and the eggs I looked at looked they had internally pipped, so not long now.... :D Tonight boys are movin out, boy they are going to be mad at me! :D :D

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11 »
little bills are poking out from the eggs now, not long!!! :) :) More ducklings woohoo!!!!
 :D

Vember

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:20 »
Yay Great news Foxy :D

Come one duckies :D

Sarah  8)

matilda duck

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:55 »
OOOHHHH sooo excited Little duckies come on!!!!! :tongue2:

Don't forget we want PICTURES the very second they come out!!!!!!!

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 13:39 »
 :D :D I cant wait! ducks are so slow!!! just had 4 more bantam faverolles hatch though and the final one has pipped! :D

Foxy

Re: Question for those with broody ducks!! Update - hatching!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:40 »
well 4 large holes, I had a quick peep when the mums were off the nest, and I can see bills...they are so so slow though! Or am I just very impatient :D

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 11:06 »
Are your ducklings fully hatched yet, Foxy?

My two marans are happily sharing 11 chicks between them.  I was a little worried how they would work be, but then I saw your three bantams photo the other day, so was reassured.   ::)  I pure Light Sussex, via e-bay (hatched Thurs/Fri and 5 each of yellow and orange-y 3 day olds.  Supposedly Sussex and RIR types, but I'm not convinced.  Never mind, Hattie and Hettie  are pleased with them.

cathangirl

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12 »
The ducklings are taking AGES! cathangirl, never mind though. I have five more lovely chicks and yes, with three mums happily sharing them! I also have another 10 eggs (large salmons) under an enormous cochin broody, all are fertile, last hatch I think.... :) nice utility birds, Rhodies and Light Sussex, sounds like a good hatch rate too 5 of each! :)

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 14:38 »
Cathangirl, they hatched! Congratulations! Well done to Hettie and Hattie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foxy, where are your babies???!! :blink:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

xx
Hatching call ducks

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 12:13
by Kathie
xx
Call Ducks Hatching

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 14:31
by ANHBUC
xx
any advice for hatching cayuga ducks

Started by Shedenvy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 23:27
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Help - hatching broody

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:12
by scabs

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 28 queries.