Making butter

• 14 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Making butter
« on: March 25, 2014, 14:24 »
I was reading a thread earlier and Grendel posted that when he sees cheap cream he makes butter with it. Has anyone got a tried and tested method of making butter - would love to try it.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

compostqueen

Re: Making butter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 14:56 »
Yeah I do, when cream is being sold off cheap at the supermarket. You might be lucky and get some good stuff like Guernsey!  It's cheap as chips when it's on its sell-by date. You bung it in the food processor, turn it on and stay with it as it tends to move about on the worktop as it thickens up.  When you hear a definite thud you know it's turned to butter, and in no time you have a solid lump of butter.  If you are going to eat it immediately then you can use it as is, or add a sprinkle of sea salt if you want a salted butter

If you plan to keep it in the fridge for some days you will have to rinse it with clean water. Just hold the ball of butter under the cold tap and gently rinse off the watery buttery residue as this will cause the butter to go rank if not washed off.  Once the water runs clear you can shape your butter. I do it with the backs of two wooden spoons to form it into the familiar block shape, or you could just use your wet hands and form it into a flat round.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 15:24 »
Wow, that sounds really easy  :) I'll give that a shot - I take it you need to eat within a few days.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 15:30 »
It will keep if you wash it as I described.  My guess is that it won't hang about for long  :tongue2:

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 15:37 »
Every time I go to the cash & carry I look for reduced end of life double cream as i'm desperate to try making my own butter! If you have a go, let me know how you get on.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Jackypam

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 17:14 »
The link to the old thread that Mum posted ( thanks Mum) suggests over a pound of butter plus buttermilk ( for scones I guess) from a litre of cream!  I'll certainly be looking out for that reduced double cream!  That's about £3 worth of butter!!

Asherweef

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 17:42 »
Could you put seasoning or flavouring in the cream or would that ruin the reaction?

mjpalin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 22:42 »
Tonight's pop in at the Cash & Carry paid dividends. Now have 4l of reduced priced cream to try to turn into butter tomorrow :-)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 00:21 »
Val
Recipes Galore!

mjpalin

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 00:41 »
http://www.allotment-garden.org/food/making-butter-at-home.php
Me making butter, it's very rewarding :) :) :)

Thanks Val! I'm really looking forward to trying it

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 14:20 »
I have memories of my father in the early fifties when butter was still pretty expensive, wandering around the house shaking a jar full of the tops of the milk, for what seemed like hours, to get a little precious lump of real butter, not marg. :)
Anne

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 16:18 »
I remember been at junior school in our cookery class teacher had us all sat there with a big jar each with half pint of creamy milk in it,right now class start shaking jar until there is a lump floating inside it  :lol:now thats your butter we also had to bring in 2 slices of bread so we could have toast and freshly made butter (we all managed to make a spoonfull) but it was lovely  :D
diggity dig dig

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 18:49 »
I remember been at junior school in our cookery class teacher had us all sat there with a big jar each with half pint of creamy milk in it,right now class start shaking jar until there is a lump floating inside it  :lol:now thats your butter we also had to bring in 2 slices of bread so we could have toast and freshly made butter (we all managed to make a spoonfull) but it was lovely  :D

That brings back memories of doing this with my classes. Not only did they get some butter with their bread but I got peace in the classroom as they were all concentrating so hard and shaking like mad to try and be the first one to get some butter. :lol:
Then I read my favourite  poem by A A Milne about the King's butter.

mjpalin

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 22:35 »
So my 4.5 litres of cream has resulted in 5.5lbs of homemade butter, and I also have 2litres of buttermilk to use in scones & pancakes ;-)

In my opinion 4.5l for a newbie was way too much, i've spent most of the afternoon & evening in the kitchen, but I am pleased with the outcome. o/h think it tastes more like cream than butter.... oh well, all the more for me I guess  :tongue2:

xx
making butter

Started by Douglas1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 22:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Butter Making

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 00:01
by Poolfield2
xx
Making butter

Started by fayenz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 21:44
by matron
xx
know there is peanut butter has anyone made Almond butter

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 20, 2016, 22:43
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 30 queries.