Making butter

• 25 Replies

fayenz

Making butter
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:14 »
I'm disgusted with the price of butter here in NZ so remembered reading that it only takes a bottle of cream, a pinch of salt then shake the hell out of it and bingo you have cream, it worked!  I drained of the watery stuff and had butter. The next thing I want to make is cheese, a really tasty one, any suggestions?   :?:
Regards Faye

muntjac

making cheese at home
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:27 »
you should check out jacks site here ,,
http://schmidling.com/making.htm
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Making butter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28 »
I've just re-organised the allotment food articles on the site - there's a series on making cheese by Katie Thear on there along with our recipe for cottage (curd) cheese

How to make cheese

We just use the electric whisk for butter -

Making Butter
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Dabhand

Making butter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 14:07 »
Hey... funny you should mention making butter, that's what I have just done  :D   I followed Vals instructions to the letter and it turned out great!!  (thanks Val)

Also, just to make you all jealous, A lovely batch of home made scones has just come out of the oven.  I used my home made butter and the buttermilk as the liquid, I also put a bit of sugar in that has been sat in the pantry with a vanilla pod in...yum...  They are mouth watering....

Dabhand

Making butter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 14:09 »
I am so sorry, where are my manners? I forgot to ask if anybody wanted one  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Making butter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 14:34 »
Yes please :)

It really is quite easy to make butter and the taste is better than store bought. I don't know why that should be, goodness knows what goes into factory made butter.

I prefer it very slightly salted - there again, I suspect the store bought contains a lot more than we put in. The colour of home made is lighter as well - I wonder if they add colour when they make it?

We don't have access to any special sources of cream but we do keep our eyes open for bargain reductions in the supermarkets.

Just before Christmas, take a look at the sell by dates on cheese and cream. Then you know the best day to go back and clear the shelf. We've loads of Stilton in the fridge which isn't prime for eating as is but works well in cooking.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Making butter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 14:40 »
I've made butter by Val's method too.  Really yummy  :D

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Making butter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 22:43 »
never realised it was that simple...i shall scour the local shelves for bargains 8)
altho the cheese looks a bit more technical.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Making butter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 23:12 »
Cottage cheese is dead easy - different to the store bought stuff but very nice all the same.

fayenz

Butter Making
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 02:14 »
Thanks very much everyone, all comments were great! I must have a look at Val's method. I just made another lot of butter, weighed it and it turns out to cost about the same as store bought butter  :evil:

I should have known that if butter goes up so does all other dairy proucts, still, it was fun making and still going to do so  :D

Cheese is next :!:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Butter Making
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 09:13 »
Quote from: "fayenz"
Thanks very much everyone, all comments were great! I must have a look at Val's method. I just made another lot of butter, weighed it and it turns out to cost about the same as store bought butter  :evil:

I should have known that if butter goes up so does all other dairy proucts, still, it was fun making and still going to do so  :D

Cheese is next :!:

You won't beat the retail price of butter by making it from retail priced cream.  We worked out our last lot from bargain cream cost 30p a packet against £1 in the shops.

fayenz

Making butter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:43 »
I've never seen cream on special here and you pay more than us for supermarket cream there!

chrissie B

Making butter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 09:48 »
milk ,cream and cottage cheese here are expencive and there is never bargin cream , the cheapest butter i have had was from lidl at 1.09cents at first but now its shot up to 1.45 , then couple weeks ago it was on offer for 1.00 so i stocked up , wish i knew some one with a cow , wonder what goat butter would be like  :?: theres plenty of them about.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

muntjac

Making butter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 10:04 »
Quote from: "chrissie B"
milk ,cream and cottage cheese here are expencive and there is never bargin cream , the cheapest butter i have had was from lidl at 1.09cents at first but now its shot up to 1.45 , then couple weeks ago it was on offer for 1.00 so i stocked up , wish i knew some one with a cow , wonder what goat butter would be like  :?: theres plenty of them about.
chrissie b

goats ,,,, strong but tasty .make the cheese as well  :wink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Making butter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20 »
Thing about Greece is that you're in a warmer climate - at least until global warming heats up the UK - so it's olive oil more than butter.

Feta is lovely as I'm sure you know if you've a source of sheep milk.

xx
making butter

Started by Douglas1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 22:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Butter Making

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 00:01
by Poolfield2
xx
Making butter

Started by Diddy Gardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 22:35
by mjpalin
xx
know there is peanut butter has anyone made Almond butter

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 20, 2016, 22:43
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 37 queries.