Swedes

• 8 Replies

Eblana

Swedes
« on: July 12, 2015, 22:38 »
I had swedes sown in modules but they got fried in the greenhouse last week.  I am going to see can I get some plants in the garden centre in the morning but if I can't is it too late to try again, if not should I sow direct or go for module sowing again?

Goosegirl

Re: Swedes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17 »
I think swedes need a long growing period but if you can't get any plantlets give it a go - there's nothing lost but you might only get small ones. Would turnips be a better option?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:14 »
Swedes don't actually need a long growing period, they are usualy sown late in the year - up to June in most cases, so you would not be that late.

You have little to lose in trying. Try module sowing, with as little root disturbance as possible, you'd probably bring them on a little faster than in open ground.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:33 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:23 »
I'm sitting looking at a packet of swede seeds "Invitation F1" club root resistant, sow June to early July. I would follow DD's advice and sow in modules and if you have one use a cold frame that can be left open rather than risk them in the greenhouse. I usually wait until around midsummer's day to sow mine depending on weather conditions.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:34 »
I think you will be lucky to find garden centre plantlets, as most places run down the veg stocks after the end of May.  If you do find them, check the quality carefully, as they might be old stock and very pot bound.

Mine were only sown in modules on 7th June and went out onto the plot very recently.  They germinated and lived outside in the open fronted seedling cloche happily enough, so I also would go with DD's suggestion of trying a few seeds. 

You can get them up to planting out size in no time and if you keep them well fed and watered on the plot, they will grow fast enough to give you a decent crop :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:44 »
Swedes don't actually need a long growing period, they are usualy sown late in the year - up to June in most cases, so you would not be that late.
Sorry DD - thought they had.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 14:26 »

I've sown some this week :D

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 15:27 »
I have always grown swedes and turnips from direct sowings in the ground and then thin out as required. Swedes take a lot longer to swell than turnips and i have already frozen 3 lbs of turnips for winter use, and picking a few every week. My swedes will not be ready until septemeber from a May sowing.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Eblana

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 22:24 »
I tried around a few garden centres with absolutely no luck, so I took the advice on here and sowed some seeds in modules tonight, I prefer small swedes anyway so hopefully they will come through.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

xx
Out of Swedes already - can I sow more Swedes (or Turnips)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 23:38
by Kirpi
xx
Swedes

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 18:59
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Swedes

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 09:13
by J_B
xx
Swedes

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 09:23
by blackisgreen

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 39 queries.