Swedes

• 13 Replies

Beetroot queen

Swedes
« on: October 19, 2009, 14:16 »
After being munched alive by beasties the leaves pulled back but I forgot when i put them in and the swedes are now about tennis ball sized how much longer do they take.

Our first homegrown swede isnt it great, my last attempt failed  :blush:

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
Re: Swedes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 14:42 »
I have pulled two of mine.  They were possibly not that much bigger than a tennis ball.  Tasted delicious, and much easier to peel and cut than a supermarket one.

Someone please let me know if they will grow much more.  I mainly pulled the two because I am running short on other veg, my leeks and parsnips failed unfortunately.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 15:39 »
My swedes aren't doing much! I've got 12 (planted out in April/May) and only a couple seem to have swollen to tennis ball size. The rest are just purple stalk, no thickening.,(unless it's underground?) Don't want to pull them yet in case they DO swell but what are the chances?
I pulled a parsnip (same raised bed) and it was a good size (but very fibrous and not much flavour) and the celeriac (same bed) is about tennis ball size but still growing. I had loads of leaf on all of them.
Bit of a disappointment. Could it be down to the soil or the weather? Got to blame something!! :D
(Sorry....didn't mean to hijack your thread got carried away... :ohmy:)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 15:42 »
I hope they do carry on growing, as mine have hardly started to thicken up. I'm sure that is because it has been so dry here this year.
Have given them some blood fish and bone and a good watering to help wash that into the roots and now it's fingers crossed that it doesn't get too cold anytime soon :unsure:

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 23:16 »
what type are you growing? I have done nothing special with mine - just sowed into a brassica bed , thinned out to distance it said on packet and have 4 splendid swedes despite them having mildew a month or so back Picked the leaves off and new healthy ones have grown. The variety is Brora
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 23:44 »
Mine are Brora too and I followed instructions on the packet. Mine went out quite early (May) so they should be ready.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 21:15 »
I too am hoping they will continue swelling up :D
always have a target
and an objective.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 22:19 »
I'm keeping a close eye on your swedes  ;) My father tells me "You won't grow swede on that plot. I tried without luck and no one on the site manages swede." But.... I've got a short row that look interesting but small.

Can't remember when they went in.... right at the end of the sowing period for swede, I think it was. I pulled just one to see what was heppening - tennis-ball size (mini-tennis) and now I am being patient.

I think I heard they are better once the frost has been on them... We'll see  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

irishwexford

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 23:46 »
I have the opposite problem. I think I planted my swedes too early and some of them are like small footballs. I have eaten some but they are a bit hard to peel but worth it. I thought we could eat these through the winter but they have been ready for weeks so will have to start cooking them in case they get woody.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 00:15 »
I have the opposite problem. I think I planted my swedes too early and some of them are like small footballs. I have eaten some but they are a bit hard to peel but worth it. I thought we could eat these through the winter but they have been ready for weeks so will have to start cooking them in case they get woody.

If you are growing on an allotment see if there is someone who has grown swedes later than you. If their's aren't ready yet maybe you could do a swop? Give them a couple of yours and in return you might get some of theirs after Christmas...

Just a thought  ;)

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:52 »
if you cant grow swedes very good try kohl raabi instead they are normally easier to grow and i just use them as a swede replacement

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:40 »
if you cant grow swedes very good try kohl raabi instead they are normally easier to grow and i just use them as a swede replacement

Taste is quuite different isn't it? Or am I getting muddled with celleriac? (can't spell it either!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 12:54 »
I think they taste different as prefer KR raw :blink:
KR won't stand in the ground through winter like swede can either, sorry

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 09:23 »
ok fair enough it was just an idea for those who cant grow swede and wanted a substitute it works for me and kohl raabi {on my plot anyway } is hardy to leave through winter

xx
Out of Swedes already - can I sow more Swedes (or Turnips)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 23:38
by Kirpi
xx
Swedes

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 15:37
by paintedlady
xx
Swedes

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 15:16
by DD.
xx
Swedes

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 00:28
by compostqueen

Page created in 1.148 seconds with 32 queries.