Rules and regulations

• 33 Replies

Flower

Rules and regulations
« on: September 22, 2007, 18:46 »
How long is one allowed to leave a neglected plot before notice comes to surrender your tennancy?I know we had a bad year but a lot of folk are waiting for a plot. We're very kind and understanding on our site but who wants all those weed seeds blowing around? Where's the line drawn on your site?

David.

Rules and regulations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 19:25 »
If the allotment authority drag their feet, chase them quoting the Weeds Act 1959 and also ask them to remind tenants that they have a right to claim compensation from tenants for deterioration of an allotment under the The Allotments Act 1950 Section 4.

Flower

Rules and regulations
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 21:56 »
Sadly  perhaps,I belong to the allotment committee and I like to think there may have been exceptional circumstances that causes the problems. However I feel that if no cultivation has been done for some conciderable time, then someone else should benefit.I just wondered if other sites had any set rules. And how would it be if your neighbour went missing for 6 months and the weeds became intolerable.It all costs money to write and phone, and personal time to do these unpleasant tasks. I'd rather be digging my allotment.I wish the foot and mouth were all over and we could get on with the manure deliveries.

gobs

Rules and regulations
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 08:37 »
Yes, Flower, quite a few sites have set rules now, for the very reason you mention.  
the waiting lists are extensive and without set rules and known to all plotties procedures it seems quite impossible to lose non-cultivating tenants.
For advice and samples of self-governing procedures, rules etc. visit ARI's website.  You need Adobe to download them.
Regards,
gobs
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

Rules and regulations
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:39 »
Quote from: "Flower"
Sadly  perhaps,I belong to the allotment committee and I like to think there may have been exceptional circumstances that causes the problems. However I feel that if no cultivation has been done for some conciderable time, then someone else should benefit. I just wondered if other sites had any set rules.

Yes ours does, but they need to be enforced with tact and intelligence. You also have to define what is unacceptable and what you mean by "considerable time" otherwise you'll get the situation where you send out a warning letter, they turn up, dig for a couple of days then leave it for another 6 months. One of my neighbours does this. He has allowed the weeds to set seed and his plot is in the direction of the prevailing wind, grrr

:evil:

crowndale

Rules and regulations
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:57 »
I go every month to my parish council to remind about the uncultivated plots (I am waiting for a plot myself and currently help a friend to dig theirs).  I get really irritated by teh laid back attitude.  My most recent visit (end of august ish) was met with a comment about giving lea way to plot holders because of the floods.  OK the floods did cause damage and make the plots imposible to cultivate for maybe three or 4 weeks but that left 5-6 weeks here for the plots to have at least had a tidy up.  many plots have been left to go to weed seed and I know a number will be given up when teh rents are due but meanwhile they infect their neighbours with weed seed and make their own plot that much harder for the next 'owner' to get going.  They do ahve rules and a procedure but by my reckoning it can take a mininum of around 9 months to get someone off and judging by the state of some plots it takes considerbaly more than that.  I'm not suggesting that plots should be show garden standard but they really should be kept tidy and at least look like someone cares about them, especially with the wait list we have.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

David.

Rules and regulations
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 14:56 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I go every month to my parish council to remind about the uncultivated plots (I am waiting for a plot myself and currently help a friend to dig theirs).  I get really irritated by teh laid back attitude.

I felt the same about my 'colleagues' when I was a parish councillor. I joined because I thought they were so bad, and left because I discovered they were even worse.

Lynne

Rules and regulations
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 17:05 »
At ours, the other plot holders complain to the parish clerk and it seems to take months to get something done. There are currently about 6 untended plots that have been untouched since we got ours in June.

The parish clerk wrote to them all in August and two are now being cleared by the holders, the others have still not shown up so they are being given notice to quit.

At another site nearby, the association write to anyone who has not tended their plot for 2 weeks :shock:  and gives them a further 2 weeks to do something. If they don't they are out.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

sweet nasturtium

Rules and regulations
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 20:08 »
I would say if you have a waiting list you ought to make sure you only allow one plot per person.

<<nasturtium ducks quick>>

gobs

Rules and regulations
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 21:10 »
Please air your views on this, as both flower and me are in the same horrid position of: not here to be doing nasty politics, but!!! people insist on their neglected plots v all those hopeless on the waiting list.
We both just got on committee, so would be nice to get a general feel of opinion of others about it.
Please do post, thanks, gobs :roll:

sweet nasturtium

Rules and regulations
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 21:32 »
I gracefully declined a place on our committee!  I don't envy your position of having to make these decisions.  

But my personal opinion is: (and I do have an opinion on most things)

You should only have enough plot to feed your family for a year, so no old boys with 3 plots please unless there is a surplus.

Information should be clear about exactly what is expected when you start.

Offer help before you threaten with Notices.

Respect and listen to those with more experience than yourself!!!

Newbies should only be given a half plot to start with.

muntjac

Rules and regulations
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 21:39 »
nasturtium wrote

You should only have enough plot to feed your family for a year, so no old boys with 3 plots please unless there is a surplus.

sorry i agree with the others whole heartedly except the above as i have 4 plots and i feed myself and others .not long back i was threatened to be evicted from my plots on the grounds that others were waiting ..... i have had my plots for over 10 yrs when they got run down and neglected or folks died and they couldnt let them..... just because us " old codgers "have 3 /4 or even 10 shouldnt mean that we can be penalised by commitees and have them taken away for newcomers who probably wont keep them for more than a blooming year anyways ...but i agree with the half a plot bit as well, and allotments dont need commitees  just like minded individuals doing thier bit on the allotments .

give a man an ounce of power to protect the people he will take more than he can hold and the people need protecting from him
still alive /............

theothermarg

• me
Rules and regulations
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 21:48 »
mmm nothing like a bit of power to show up a person for what they are
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

sweet nasturtium

Rules and regulations
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 21:59 »
Well I think everyone should be given a chance to have a plot if they want one.  If they fail, then hand over to the next person on the waiting list.

Sorry Muntjac, we'll have to agree to differ on this one.

brucesgirl

Rules and regulations
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 21:59 »
I agree with the half plot idea. We got a half-plot in May, and asked for another last month, which we got because we had filled up the one we had, and were told that they would let us have it because we had shown we were serious about growing and not afraid of hard work. (That may be the longest sentence I have ever written)

A full plot can be too daunting for a beginner.

I also think that if a plot isn't looked after, unless for a real reason like illness or accidents, then no concessions should be given after two warnings have been issued.

BUT it is easier said than done, especially when you want to keep a friendly site atmosphere.

xx
P.Y.O regulations?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 21:22
by digalotty
xx
Coriander rules ok

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 14:08
by FERDY
xx
Allotment rules

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 17:17
by Totty
xx
Rules on your Lotty

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 07:55
by crowndale

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 32 queries.