strawberry runners

• 4 Replies

flowergirl

strawberry runners
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:14 »
ive got some strawberry plants that were on my plot when i took it over, i replanted them together and now ive got loads of runners,my question is what do i do with them? a bloke from the site came over the other day and said "what you need to do is stand on 'em" and proceded to put his big boot on one :shock: but should i wait untill they are rooted and put them in pots :?

Ann

strawberry runners
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:52 »
Once the new plants are about 1 inch tall I usually push them into the ground and leave them to root.  Once rooted I then cut the runner from the parent plant and pot up or move to it's new home.

Don't know if this is the correct way but works well for me.

WG.

strawberry runners
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:00 »
What I do with alpine strawberries is to peg down the runner into a pot of soil placed adjacent to the parent plant.  Sever and move once rooted.

Spon

strawberry runners
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 13:37 »
Conventional wisdom says that plants over 3 years old should be discarded because they begin to loose their vigour. The new plants obtained from the runners should be planted next to the existing bed and the oldest plants thrown away. Follow the same process every year and you will see that you have a bed that is 'walking' down the plot - thus reducing the chance of disease - and you always have young, vigourous plants.
That's the theory!!
On our site, the chap with the best crop this year hasn't touched his strawberry bed for at least three years!!

Trillium

strawberry runners
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 14:58 »
We tend not to realize just how hungry strawberry plants are, and that they use up the nutrients in that particular space. That's why the runners are so long - they're looking for better feeding away from the depleted area. Definitely wait until runner roots are a good size before cutting the runner stem from the main plant, and put it in a revitalized area. My parent plants are fairly old now but still producing because I cut down all the foliage after fruiting and then (old) manure.  A few older plants die every year and that's fine because I have more than enough runners to replace them with.

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
Strawberry runners

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 22:28
by sachkrimbo

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 35 queries.