Why aren't my cukes getting any bigger?

• 11 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Why aren't my cukes getting any bigger?
« on: July 23, 2010, 21:15 »
I've got a few outdoor cuke plants that all look very healthy. Some are bigger than others, but a couple of them are making a bid for world domination. They all have lots of small fruit on them and the bigger plants are smothered in them, but the fruit are just not growing. They've been small fruit for weeks now and they're just not getting any bigger. I feed with tomato feed once a week and water daily. Some plants are in grobags (2 per bag) and a couple in big pots. The variety is called Cetriolo Marketer, which I've never grown before.

Any ideas why?

Pellynut

Re: Why aren't my cukes getting any bigger?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 21:52 »
Try a High Nitrogen feed instead of the tomato feed. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 21:59 »
Surely a high nitrogen will target leaves rather than fruits?

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

andy135

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 22:37 »
I concur with Yorkie. I would stay with the Tom food. I have had the same problem with my indoor cue's but they have suddenly started growing this week. It's a very strange season.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 22:43 »
These are quite short cucmbers aren't they? I meant is that how big they grow to?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 23:34 »
These are quite short cucmbers aren't they? I meant is that how big they grow to?

Oh good lord, I certainly  hope not. When I say small fruit, I mean the size of a paperclip :)

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 00:09 »
Can I suggest you ignore them for a few days? I was inspecting my cues, squash and courgettes twice daily and nothing was happening.
Today I picked 3 cues and 4 HUGE courgettes and I just didn't look too closely for a few days!!
Magic!
Now I'm expanding my pretend lack of interest to the green tomatoes........wonder if it will work....
(I water and feed everything with my eyes closed.....) :wacko: ::) :nowink: :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:58 »

Oh good lord, I certainly  hope not. When I say small fruit, I mean the size of a paperclip :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: whoops , I thought you meant far biiger

Just water then with a touch of tomoato food in  and try not to stare at them.. maybe they are very nervous sorts  :nowink:

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56 »
Can I suggest you ignore them for a few days? I was inspecting my cues, squash and courgettes twice daily and nothing was happening.
Today I picked 3 cues and 4 HUGE courgettes and I just didn't look too closely for a few days!!
Magic!
Now I'm expanding my pretend lack of interest to the green tomatoes........wonder if it will work....
(I water and feed everything with my eyes closed.....) :wacko: ::) :nowink: :D

This method certainly worked for my cucumbers, and for my squash, they never set to fruit for AGES and now i have lots of little fruits!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Pellynut

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 20:09 »
You're right Yorkie - high nitrogen will make leaves grow - but I was advised to try this last year - Chempack 2 - and it certainly helped with lots of cues - same this year.  And if you look on the back of a pack of Chempack 2 it does say for cucumbers, as well as other green leafy veg. :)

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 22:31 »
Oooh im glad it's not just me having trouble, im exactly the same i have 4 cuc plants' i've had 1 cuc off one plant about 1 week ago and the rest are the size of paper clips. I've actually gone out today and put a poly over them (they are supposed to be an outdoor variety because i thought it was too cold perhaps)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 21:35 »
Oooh im glad it's not just me having trouble, im exactly the same i have 4 cuc plants' i've had 1 cuc off one plant about 1 week ago and the rest are the size of paper clips. I've actually gone out today and put a poly over them (they are supposed to be an outdoor variety because i thought it was too cold perhaps)

I'm happy to report I cut one big cuke about a week ago and I've got one that's just about big enough to cut, and a couple more about halfway big enough. And in fact I think I let the first one grow a bit too big before cutting, because it was just starting to go a bit hollow in the middle. I think they were just a bit slow starting. I did start giving them tomato feed once a week, so maybe that's what did the trick. but now they've started I have a suspicion I'm going to be drowning in cucumbers in a few weeks. Maybe 6 plants was a few too many :)

One thing I have noticed is the ones I put in grobags are doing way better than the ones I put in pots. They were smaller seedlings yet they've caught up and overtaken the ones in pots. And they are very big pots, so it's not that they don't have enough room. I'd say they've got far more compost than the ones in grobags, so I don't know why.

And slightly off track here, but what's the difference between a cucumber and a gherkin? I mean, I quite like gherkins on my burgers, so if I do end up with a glut of little cucumbers would they be suitable for making pickled gherkin with, or do they have to be a gherkin variety?

xx
cukes

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2013, 14:19
by maxibo
xx
Cukes on their way out.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 22:12
by Lardman
xx
Happy cukes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 13:07
by Stevens706
xx
How are your outdoor cukes?

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 14:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 29 queries.