cukes

• 5 Replies

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
cukes
« on: May 20, 2013, 17:44 »
Evening all, hope everyone's well  :) I kindly had some mini white cuke seeds given me, one is now around 2 ins tall and outgrowing the mini w/sill GH, i've heard they can suffer with stem rot, so my question is, how deep should i pot it on or  should i even be doing that yet? Thanks in advance  :D
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: cukes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 18:11 »
Hi there!  I am growing the same cuke's.  Its my first go at cucumber growing but this is what I have done so far...I planted 3 seeds in a mini greenhouse 7"pot, thinking that as cukes are temperamental they wouldn't all germinate.  In typical fashion, all three of them sprouted and after taking advice from this site I repotted them separately into 4" pots.  They are all going great guns now.  One is about 10 inches high, the other two are a bit smaller at about 7 inches. 
I repotted the largest one yesterday into a 12" pot, where it can stay for good now.  I planted it on a 'mound' within the pot.  I shall do the same with the other two asap (I ran out of compost yesterday!).  They are still on the window sill at the moment but I am thinking that I will start to put them outside from tomorrow during the day.  I believe that miniature whites grow equally well both in and outdoors so I may try one in the mini greenhouse and two outside in a sheltered spot.  I am too much of a coward to take them to the lottie though - they will be staying at home with me!

Growing4mykids

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:27 »
Thanks, will pot it on and get it out into the coldframe!! How deep did you pot them on, is it the same as most things, up to the two first true leaves?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42 »
maxibo's advice was
I planted it on a 'mound' within the pot.

This is good advice and stops the stem rotting  ;)

planting them deeper exposes the stem to moisture in the compost  :(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:43 by mumofstig »

Growing4mykids

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 13:54 »
Coming to my aid again mos, thank you  :D "note to self", read replies thoroughly!!  :nowink:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 14:19 »
Hee hee!  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I had to go to work. Yes,  I just VERY GENTLY placed the entire pot of compost and cuke (minus pot of course) onto fresh compost in larger pot and then sort of tumpted (is that a word?!) a bit more compost around to fill in any gaps and make it firm. 
I did this on sunday, put them back on kitchen window sill to get over the shock and then took a deep breath and put them in my small plastic greenhouse this morning.  Gawd knows what the neighbours thought if they heard me as I said 'now look, don't go dying on me - you only have to stay in there til tonight'.  I shall bring them back to kitchen window sill tonight.  It's a bit chilly here now but I'm going to be brave and leave them out til teatime. 
I must point out I HAVE NEVER GROWN CUCUMBERS BEFORE! So you may want to take more expert advice.  I've just done what I think best.  Oh, and I sang and talked nicely to them when I was moving them about - that may or may not help!  :lol:

xx
Cukes on their way out.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 22:12
by Lardman
xx
Happy cukes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 13:07
by Stevens706
xx
toms and cukes?

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 18:04
by andyw
xx
How are your outdoor cukes?

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 14:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 38 queries.