Rosemary beetle

• 4 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Rosemary beetle
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:34 »
 >:( Just found half a dozen of the blighters in my rosemary standard bush  >:(
I noticed this morning that my previously healthy pot standard had a lot of yellow leaves and asumed I had either over or under watered it. Then I spotted a very pretty black and rainbow striped beetle about the size of a large ladybird on it.
I Googled for details and discovered lots of information including this............
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=555

My poor Rosemary looks a gonna but there are a few soft new shoots I might be able to take for cuttings. Couple of questions...........
1. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how do you deal with it (have so far picked off about 6 adults and 2 small larvae).
2. Have noticed lots of seed pods falling off the bush with ripe little seeds inside, will these germinate if I sow them now and if so how successful is it to grow Rosemary from seed?

I'm so sad about this particular plant's problems because it stands just outside my kitchen door and the scent is wonderful and it is used a lot. I can't remember how much it cost but I purchased it several years ago from Aldi's and it has been marvellous  :(
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Rosemary beetle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:20 »
I hadn't heard of these until you posted this Maryann. Per that RHS advice page, I'd prefer the non-chemical methods as Rosemary is eaten, even though they list safe chemicals. You also mention growing from seed. I have read in the past and found from experience that it is hard to grow from seed - I haven't managed yet in a few attempts, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't have a go. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 15:50 »
Been picking them off by hand as don't want to use any chemicals - this is one of our favourite and most used herbs.
Blooming beetles are everywhere. Even found one on my hose pipe  :mad:

I'm going to take cuttings and hope they do OK but I've not done this before so fingers crossed. My lovely rosemary was a perfect standard bush but now I'll just have to go for an ordinary one from the cuttings if she doesn't recover.

I'm just amazed at how quickly the bush went over, I water her most days as she is in full sun for most of the day and she has been fine. I'm going to check her roots just to make sure I haven't overwatered but with all those beetles and larvae I'm sure it is them that has done for her.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 15:58 »
In the last couple of days I've noticed a lot of really pretty green beetles on my mint, which I think must be Mint Leaf Beetle. I'm leaving them alone because there's plenty of mint for both of us and they're one of the prettiest insects I've ever seen.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 16:17 »
Yea thats all well and good if they dont actually kill your plant - I would be generous as well - but they have decimated my rosemary and I'm seriously unhappy about that  :mad:

xx
Rosemary Beetle

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
Rosemary Beetle

Started by Ellkebe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 00:03
by Ellkebe
xx
I've found a rosemary leaf beetle

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 15:19
by Trillium
xx
Rosemary

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2016, 08:12
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 36 queries.