Growing broad beans in modules and overwintering

• 26 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing broad beans in modules and overwintering
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 10:03 »
According to the "Sow Seeds" co. who sell the field beans you can sow them till mid November depending on weather. I usually sow about now but the ground is so wet and sticky (clay) now that I probably won't unless it dries up in the next week.

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 10:32 »
I sowed a bed of Wizard last year Oct 4th, and one 26th Oct. The earlier one did brilliantly. The later one failed with very patchy germination(the bed could have been found by the voles on site).
This year I sowed 1st Oct. the plants are about 12-15cm tall now.
The main reason I like to sow these in the autumn is that it is one less crop to prep for and sow in the spring.
We are on heavy clay.
Nick
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:36 by NickoV »
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 11:14 »
I'm another Wizard bean fan.  Last year mine overwintered brilliantly, whereas the normal broad beans were rubbish. 

From self saved seed I've done 4 rows on the plot and have some seeds leftover for a go in January as well.  The first lot have gone out direct into the soil and the second lot will probably be in modules in the cold greenhous, then out as soon as they show.  I'm just interested to see how they do from a January sowing  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 11:51 »
Ok, I am on a clay-based soil too and it is wet here so an early spring sowing for me I think! I have only just got my designated bed cleared from the waist high weeds so I couldn't have sown any earlier...

captainhastings

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 15:31 »
I planted mine few weeks ago and they took off but now they just need to survive worst case I just replace them in spring

Headgardener22

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 23:01 »
Is it too late to sow them now?

I don't think so. I sowed mine last week. I will plant them out when they have a couple of leaves.

If they work, they work. If they don't, I'll sow more in spring.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 06:48 »
I like the idea of growing 'Wizard' beans, but next year now, as it's too late.

We'll certainly sow them in modules, then pop them out later on, but one question - how far off the ground do the pods begin, as we were ravaged by pheasants this year, who just trashed the pods within reach! I seem to remember that the local farmed beans, (not the same obviously), started way up the stem!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 07:29 »
Wizard get quite tall Growster and the pods are high up, so you should be OK  :) 

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 17:04 »
Wizard get quite tall Growster and the pods are high up, so you should be OK  :)

Thank you, News, I just like the idea of these chaps doing what some of the others didn't this year, and a new strain could be the answer!

And the blasted pheasants could go and stick their beaks somewhere else..;0)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42 »
I planted my Meteor on Oct 11th in small pots in the unheated GH. They showed on the 23rd Oct. Today, they are about 3" tall and the root formation is phenomenal; best I've ever seen. I usually leave it until nearer the end of Nov to plant out. I always save some in the GH to replace any casualties. Always seem to crop well and never had any bother with blackfly.

Robster

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 13:02 »
I think Autumn sowing outside is a bit of a lottery- but a fun one. 

If you sow in Autumn and its too long and warm a run into Winter they get away too quickly and get too big then the Winter gets them as they lay down and rot.  Ive done this.  If you plant too late then they do nothing but do come up in the New Year (unless you have dug them in thinking they all rotted) but you have gained nothing in time.  I've done this too.  Sometimes you get it just about right as Dugless says a small plant with a couple of leaves that gets away well in the Spring.  I've done this too but not so much as the other two options.  Still what are you going to do leave it bare?  If you've saved the seed what's to lose.

So I'm for looking at the weather choosing your moment and stick 'em in and keep your fingers crossed

dugless

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 17:10 »
And of cause if they rot at least you have put some nitrogen in the ground, and a bit of compost  :D :D
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
Aquadulce Broad Beans How Deep In Modules?

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 19:28
by kentishlad
xx
Overwintering broad beans

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 17:38
by gobs
xx
Overwintering broad beans

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 09:10
by sunshineband
xx
overwintering garlic and broad beans

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 09:40
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 30 queries.