carrot fly

• 57 Replies

whinpin

carrot fly
« on: January 25, 2014, 14:12 »
Hello all .just wondering if I can use debris netting to cover my carrots to protect from carrot fly

Paul Plots

Re: carrot fly
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 14:49 »
I think others would agree that the hole size on debris netting is too large to stop the little pesky fly from getting in. Enviromesh has much, much smaller holes so keeps them out.

Debris netting might confuse them but it won't stop them.  :wacko:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 16:47 »
Yes, I think the hole sizes are too big for it to be effective with any degree of certainty.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

alexroyall85

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 17:34 »
Hi

I even tried the enviro mess which is meant to be a guarantee that the pesky things don't get through but the still do. This year i am going to try seed that is resistant to them and see if these do better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 17:58 »
If they got past Enviromesh, they must have got through a gap. They would not get through it.

You may well be in for a disappointment if you rely solely on fly resistant carrots and no barrier. They are fly resistant, not fly proof.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 18:26 »
After last years disappointment I have ordered 'Carrot 'Flyaway' F1 Hybrid' seeds and also plan to cover them up with enviromesh.

Does anyone have any experience with growing this variety?

If I have to open the mesh up at any stage for weeding etc is there a best time of day when the carrot fly are less active to do it?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 19:29 »
I can shop for carrots within any of the big or small supermarkets. Albeit the carrots are pre-packed or loose. And yet none of them of which I've purchased or have seen have any carrot fly damage what so ever. What are these carrot growers using to stop carrot fly damaging their crop? Why isn't this "magic formula" available to your everyday home grower?

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 19:38 »
If they got past Enviromesh, they must have got through a gap. They would not get through it.

You may well be in for a disappointment if you rely solely on fly resistant carrots and no barrier. They are fly resistant, not fly proof.

This.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

PudsTree

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 20:38 »
Why are carrots in supermarkets so free of pest damage? Well, somehow I don't think they employ people to go round and blow the carrot flies away! I do think they use a whole pile of chemicals which the amateur gardener is not equipped to use nor would they if they knew how toxic they were. Below id a link to one site that list 26 chemical residues found on shop bought carrots.

http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=CR

It's not funny any more, the veg from supermarkets contains a cocktail of chemicals which no sane person would contemplate using.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 21:20 »
I agree with the last post. I don't care how much fly damage my carrots get I'd still rather eat them than shop bought ones.

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 23:43 »
i agree shop bought ones have so many chemicals they probaly kill anything that goes near them ..i had quite a good havest last year which was surprising as i did nothing to them at all after sowing the seeds

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 00:27 »
MickyB

I tried 'Flyaway' F1 Hybrid' - They produced a decent carrot - not too dissimilar to Autumn King although I'm not convinced that the flavour was quite so good. There were fewer boring carrot fly holes in these than the Autumn King but for the additional price of the seed - not a full-proof answer by any means.

I don't use barriers - I do get carrot fly but the level of damage varies from year to year according to the weather conditions. If I'm lucky most of the damage is confined to the first few surface millimetres so a veg peeler leaves plenty of carrot for us. I usually grow loads which gives me a better chance of harvesting some good ones. I also leave many in the ground until late autumn and into the winter.

Later sowing times can help.

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 23:01 »
I had a square patch for my carrots with a stake in each corn and just wrapped some fleece so it was about two foot straight up and buried about 3 inches. Tacked it to the stakes and hey presto.....

If anyone gets veg boxes from riverford you can order 2nd hand fleece from them for a fiver for a quite a large amount.

There are small holes here and then but I just close pegged the holes up worked a treat for me in terms of the carrot fly. Shame it didn't stop the mice burrowing under and eating the tops.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52 »
After last years disappointment I have ordered 'Carrot 'Flyaway' F1 Hybrid' seeds and also plan to cover them up with enviromesh.

Does anyone have any experience with growing this variety?

If I have to open the mesh up at any stage for weeding etc is there a best time of day when the carrot fly are less active to do it?

Micky, dry evenings are a good time to weed, as the scent of the carrot leaves does not travel so far then. Take the thinnings away not leave them lying around.

I also grow my parsnips under enviro mesh, and they are then undamaged too. I cover one whole raised bed, leaving no gaps under edges, and it works a treat. I don't peg it down -pegs = holes in my book -  I weight is down with old planks wedged against the outside of the bed.

The stuff lasts for years, and can even go through the washing machine if you need it cleaned up a bit after a couple of seasons  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 22:29 »
I agree with Sunshine and DD.  The only way I can avoid carrot fly is using enviromesh.   If I try other methods such as raising a container up, a fleece barrier or debris netting, confusing flies with flowers etc, none of them work.  The level of damage I get at both the allotment and at home is enough to render the crop useless.

Like Sunshine I net one whole raised bed and grow all my carrots and parsnips in there and get good fly free crops.

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
carrot fly

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 16:55
by Kristen
xx
Carrot bug!!!!!!

Started by white westie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 23:04
by Dan78
xx
carrot

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 11:29
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 29 queries.