carrot fly

• 57 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: carrot fly
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 00:49 »
I'm going to experiment with a row of carrots at home in the tiny veg patch. There are no other veg patches anywhere nearby.. I wonder if I might, for once, experience the joys of a completely carrot fly free crop?

Or... does the carrot fly enjoy munching a whole host of plants some of which might be found where no carrots have ever ventured?

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08 »
I'm surprised that the sowing with Onions has not been mentioned - It's in most books I have and that's what I intended to do this year as well as debris netting which until I read this thread thought it worked - another thought was a raised bed at about 750mm which should be higher than they can fly.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:01 by cadalot »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:26 »
Or... does the carrot fly enjoy munching a whole host of plants some of which might be found where no carrots have ever ventured?

Problem is Paul, carrot fly do not just attack carrots. It also survives on  parsnips, celery, dill, angelica, fennel, ground elder, cow parsley and other umbellifers. Cow parsley is in just about every hedgerow!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:29 »
another thought was a raised bed at about 750mm which should be higher than they can fly.

They might only be able to fly that high, but one good swirling breeze to glide them in and it's "hello (or for you-"goodbye) carrots"!

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36 »
We've used a very tight debris netting for two years, up on a wire frame about 1'6" high and this last season, with just one layer, we almost totally eliminated carrot fly (about 99% success). The first year we used a double thickness, but it was such a bad year anyway, they weren't much good!

I have found some very late on with fly damage, which may well have come along when we eventually took the mesh off in early autumn, but it's been the best crop ever for us!

There are several brands of debris netting, so we may just be lucky with a thick one.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46 »
I've used debris netting for 5 years and not had any carrot fly damage. I use thick Twine (binder?) to sew up the holes, well actually I got others to sew them up for me spouse, children and grandchildren.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 09:58 »
I grow my carrots on a 3rd floor balcony, a good 7.5m off the ground. But I have hopes of growing parsnips, celery, dill and fennel, so perhaps I'd best get out the mesh for those.

Is it just me, or does it seem like most things we grow need some form of protection? Thank goodness there's nothing that attacks courgettes :nowink:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:58 by surbie100 »

AnneB

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04 »
I grow my carrots on a 3rd floor balcony, a good 7.5m off the ground. But I have hopes of growing parsnips, celery, dill and fennel, so perhaps I'd best get out the mesh for those.

Is it just me, or does it seem like most things we grow need some form of protection? Thank goodness there's nothing that attacks courgettes :nowink:

Well perhaps it's different in Bradford, but slugs certainly go for courgettes round here, particularly young plants.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33 »
Nope, Leicestershire slugs eat courgettes as well - not just the plants.

Maybe they can't face the thought of climbing three floors!  :lol:

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34 »
I read somewhere recently that carrot growers will hire fields 10 miles away from last years field – maybe that was in the old days?

Some growers swear by having two varieties side by side – one being a sacrificial crop - as the fly will always prefer one type to the other?

We're growing three varieties under Enviromesh this year!

ghost61

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 12:54 »
I'm making my own seed tape to avoid thinning and alerting the carrot fly that tea's ready!  I have used Environmesh in the past, and I'm sure it works until you have to raise it to weed.  I found fleece was better until the wind ripped it apart.  People down the allotment have tried growing carrots in those blue water butts and still the fly gets 'em.  Just have to put up with them, or buy tasteless orange things from the supermarket. :D

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 13:14 »
Thanks to the replies to my own questions I have took note of the advise given.  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 16:11 »
I'm making my own seed tape to avoid thinning and alerting the carrot fly that tea's ready!  I have used Environmesh in the past, and I'm sure it works until you have to raise it to weed. 

I have never thinned carrots.

Even with seed tape, you're still going to have to weed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 19:05 »
and weed when it is eventide, as the flies are not around then  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 20:13 »
I'm going to experiment with a row of carrots at home in the tiny veg patch. There are no other veg patches anywhere nearby.. I wonder if I might, for once, experience the joys of a completely carrot fly free crop?

Hi paul heres a few tips from john harrison http://video.allotment-garden.org/225/thinning-carrots/ Darrenj
diggity dig dig

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Carrot help

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 12:21
by tontom
xx
carrot fly

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 16:55
by Kristen
xx
carrot

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 11:29
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 29 queries.