carrot fly

• 57 Replies

syks grower

Re: carrot fly
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 19:03 »
You cant win with carrot fly

On my plot i sowed carrots between rows of spring onions using flyaway result hardly any flydamage.

At home grew in tubs kept 3/1/2 feet of the ground fly damge

I have always try to sow early under fleece and get less damage this way

In the 1970's there were chemicals( Bromophos)  available to amature gardeners that did prevent fly damage but have been long since banned so no doubt its the new versions of these that the commercial growers use.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 19:44 »
Ah Bromophos..I remember it well, but today the only remedy is netting and I use the lace netting used in dressmaking. Usually get a good end of roll for a few pounds.
I now grow all my carrots in pots, start them off at home, thin them out and cover on the allotment.
I have read of mulching with grass cuttings and ridging, which are designed to distance the egg laying fly from the carrot.
I did think of building a 3" perameter around the bed and filling it with sawdust as the plants grow. Same principle as putting collars around brassicas.

Paul Plots

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 17:03 »
Or... does the carrot fly enjoy munching a whole host of plants some of which might be found where no carrots have ever ventured?

Problem is Paul, carrot fly do not just attack carrots. It also survives on  parsnips, celery, dill, angelica, fennel, ground elder, cow parsley and other umbellifers. Cow parsley is in just about every hedgerow!

Thanks DD but I'm still going to give it a go as there's none of the other plants in evidence in nearby gardens. If the fly does do its worst our rabbit will have plenty to eat.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 20:23 »
I pulled a pound of carrots today, and yes, as I'd removed the debris netting  last year. and yes, there were several sufferers, but it only took a bit of paring with the trusty knife!

But hey, I sowed them in September, and they're still mostly edible - and still tasty too, so why not...?

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 01:20 »
I pulled a pound of carrots today, and yes, as I'd removed the debris netting  last year. and yes, there were several sufferers, but it only took a bit of paring with the trusty knife!

But hey, I sowed them in September, and they're still mostly edible - and still tasty too, so why not...?

Good for you Growster! Normally I'd have carrots in the ground through to March with similar results. Autumn King normally performs well... when I have time to grow them properly. Here's hoping this year's crop turns out well.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 09:47 »
Make yourself a cage like this .i have 4 off these ,they are 8ft x4ft ,2ft high made of roofing slats and enviromesh .
the tops are fastened on with velcro tape so i can take it off to get access .i have grown  Carrots, celery, celeriac, onions, shallots ,swedes, parsnips ,for the last 4yrs with no problem .
IMG_0037 - Version 2.JPG
bazial

cadalot

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 17:49 »
Make yourself a cage like this .i have 4 off these ,they are 8ft x4ft ,2ft high made of roofing slats and enviromesh .
the tops are fastened on with velcro tape so i can take it off to get access .i have grown  Carrots, celery, celeriac, onions, shallots ,swedes, parsnips ,for the last 4yrs with no problem .

What a cracking idea - where did you get the Velcro tape?

Growster...

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 19:54 »

Good for you Growster! Normally I'd have carrots in the ground through to March with similar results. Autumn King normally performs well... when I have time to grow them properly. Here's hoping this year's crop turns out well.

Thank you, Paul!

Does being on the coast have an effect?

Only wondering?

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57 »

Quote from: bazial on Yesterday at 10:47

What a cracking idea - where did you get the Velcro tape?

]Hi Cadalot
                 I got mine from Dunlim Mill ,but its sold on ebay, J Lewis have it, any were that sells material for curtains , dress making extra.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:12 by bazial »

cadalot

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 09:52 »
Thanks for the info  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01 »

Am also a massive fan of these. It's a bit more faff, but I am making them in 4ft lengths so I can stick them in the shed when not in use, and also to have a modular system for my beds of varying lengths.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 11:55 »
I've had frames like this for a few years but given up on the velcro as it seems to weaken and was lifting off in strong winds. Staple it all down now and prop the frame up to get inside. I tried using fleece but again the winds destroy it.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 18:03 »
I had the same idea. I built the one below using debris netting to keep the pests off the cabbages, I intend to build more including a lower one with an enviromesh cover to try to keep the carrot fly at bay - not sure if I will get around to it this year though. I used toggle clips to keep the lid on and the mesh was stapled in place, I also added hinges so it could be folded for storage.
Mesh Cage 1 Forum.jpg

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 19:15 »
would a plain net curtain do the job ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 18:16 »
The holes can be quite big on net curtain - you need pretty fine mesh.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Carrot Fly

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 00:59
by chriscross1966
xx
carrot help

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 02:23
by Paul Plots
xx
carrot fly

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 16:55
by Kristen

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 36 queries.