Feeding 2 new full grown chickens

• 4 Replies

F1schuey

Feeding 2 new full grown chickens
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:53 »
I have a waterfeeder.  How much Chicken food would you feed each chicken?  I dont want to overfeed them or underfeed them. Fed them this morning, all food gone... but with them being new I think they would eat all day.?????
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

orchardlady

Re: Feeding 2 new full grown chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:30 »
If you are giving your hens layers pellets put enough food out for them to eat all day if they wish(ad lib). Give them a handful of corn or mixed corn in the afternoon and remove any left over food at the end of the day so rats don't visit at night. Also have a little pot with oyster shell and mixed grit available so they can grind their food in their crops and make good strong egg shells.

OL

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:36 »
Hi
Food and water should be available all day, your hens will only eat what fills them up.
Bring in your feeder at night to avoid attracting vermin.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

F1schuey

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47 »
Thanks for that, Been taking it away at night.... just wasn't sure if they would overeat. Ive bought the huge sack of Oyster/grit mix as supplier said that doesnt go off. So thats there for them all the time.  The book I have says to feed them X amount and that didnt last 2 mins... So thought I would ask the experts.  Thank You

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51 »
I agree with the others.  Give them food ad lib - they will only eat what they want.  :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

xx
Keeping Chickens & Full Time Work

Started by rowan57 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 21:10
by joyfull
xx
feeding chickens

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 21, 2008, 13:49
by babe
xx
feeding my new chickens

Started by Brenda Babes on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 10:53
by Sassy
xx
Feeding fish to chickens

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 21:03
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 32 queries.