Is Penny broody?

• 6 Replies

mummychick

Is Penny broody?
« on: November 01, 2010, 20:22 »
Penny, one of my blackrock chickens, hasn't been herself for a couple of days.  When we let her out into the garden, she either just stands doing nothing or she sits down and looks all puffed up.  I thought if she was broody she would stay in the nesting box.  She doesn't seem to be off her food and she is drinking plenty.  Any advice would be gratefully received  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Is Penny broody?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 22:20 »
broodies do spend the majority o time sitting on eggs or even an empty nest box so it doesn't sound like your girl is broody. When did she last lay an egg?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 22:24 »
Sadly it sounds a bit more like she is poorly. Does she have any more symptoms like breathing problems, runny nose, puffy or bubbly eyes or rattling? Has she laid recently, how old is she and when was she last wormed? Has the coop been checked recently for creepy crawlies?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:04 »
I agree with Kate and Joyfull here. 

You could also try feeling under the wing of one of your other hens and then under her wing to see if she feels hotter (she may have a temperature).

It may be worth your while finding a local chicken-friendly vet as she may need antibiotics.

It may also be worth isolating her from your other chickens in case she is brewing up something infectious.

All the best and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:18 »
Hi there. How old is Penny? Hybrid hens only tend to live 3 0r 4 years but of course some much longer. Would she be starting a moult, maybe? It might be worth giving her a careful examination just to make sure everything looks OK. Also check the hen house very carefully for Red Mite. This is best done once darkness descends. rub a piece of kitchen paper or white cotton along the bottom of the perch and if it come away with red dots of blood you have Rd Mite. The mite can take up to 5% of a hens blood a night and can make them feel very low when this is happening night on night.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 15:55 »
That is exactly what my one does if she is about to lay a softie, it really takes it out of them, I hope this is what it is, after a day or two she is usually a bit perkier.

mummychick

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 22:31 »
She hasn't laid an egg since Saturday but this afternoon she seemed a lot perkier.  She was wandering round the garden with the other girls and seems more like herself.   We only got her in July this year and she was POL.  Thanks for all your comments, I will keep an eye on her and hope she keeps improving. :)

xx
Penny ate out of my hand

Started by Louise on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 15:58
by mdueal
xx
AND THE PENNY DROPS

Started by slowef on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 17, 2008, 13:45
by slowef
xx
woody , henny penny n chicken little update

Started by nettynoodles1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:01
by scampy
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 29 queries.