Squashes Ready??

• 43 Replies

MoreWhisky

Re: Squashes Ready??
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 11:43 »
Yes they do, but do you mean Uchi Kuri?  I googled Uchi Kuchi and got a video of a hamster :)

Ah now i know why im getting that dreaded hamster all the time lol
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

MoreWhisky

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 12:57 »
I can vouch for them being 'very early' mumofstig, mine are just about if not already done. The first squashes of mine ready this yr.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 21:46 »
I took a pic of one to show you all, its making my mouth water cant wait to eat it  :D

JohnB47

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 13:11 »
I noticed that the last post showed a pic with the squash on a piece of wood. Is it really a good idea to keep them off the ground? All my Crown Prince and Butternuts are resting on the soil. Problem?

Pompey Spud

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 17:59 »
The risk of the fruit rotting on damp soil and damage by stone punctures where rot could also develop.

I use straw which helps.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 19:39 »
As Pompey says they could rot on he damp/wet soil. i find keeping them off the ground on a piece of wood works fine for me.

Heres one of my Blue Hubbard, any excuse to show of my squashes  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 20:15 »
That looks nice...have you tasted one of those yet?
Funnily enough I've just been looking for others to grow next year (already :blush: It's an addiction I tell ya :ohmy:)
Anyone grown muscade de provence?....I don't remember if it was on here somewhere I saw it :wacko: it looks nice on the web images though.......lots of flesh to seed cavity ::)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 20:51 »
No ive not tried the blue hubbard yet mum cant wait , im growing lots more next yr im addicted  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 15:34 »
I told you it was an addiction..............I have just ordered a pkt of seeds of each of the following.
Marina di Chioggia, Musquee de Provence, Cornell's Bush Delicata (the sweet potato squash), Uchiki Kuri and Blue Hubbard............. and some more seeds of Thelma Sanders, which always does well for me, as a swap on here :D

All I have to get now is the jam pumpkin from seeds of Italy when I do my order from them :)

{I will resist more pumpkin/squash I will resist more pumpkin/squash} :ohmy: :lol:
signed, hopelessly addicted from Ashford ;)

Elcie

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2010, 17:05 »
I came back from 4 weeks in India and found that the OH had given away my one pumpking in the garden that I was growing for halloween to the lady next door!  I had said for him to share the produce around that he wouldn't use but I didn't realise he would pick the one thing he shouldn't have!

Never mind, at the plot I have some turk's turban and BNS growing nicely.  I am hoping to grow a wider variety next year.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2010, 17:14 »
Marina di Chioggia lol they are ugly beasts  have you tried them Mum? what they like?

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 17:50 »
I'm growing crown prince (first time), Anna Schwartz (2nd time - recommended, they grow really big really fast, taste fab), some butternut variety, and a banana squash.

I picked a couple early due to 1) rumours of squash thieves on site, and 2) to try to give the smaller squashes on the same plant more of a shot at growing. They're on the windowsill and the butternut is yellowing up, although it's got quite a long way to go yet.

On the same vine as the crown prince i picked, there were two smaller ones 'downstream' as it were. After I picked the biggie, and went on holiday for a week, the two smaller ones (which were definitely set - bigger than cricket balls) seem to have yellowed and might be dying. Might it be that by picking the big one, i actually harmed the other two on the same vine, rather than helped them? I ask because I have a really really big one on the same vine as some other small ones and I don't want to repeat the mistake.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 20:03 »
Marina di Chioggia lol they are ugly beasts  have you tried them Mum? what they like?

No they are all new to me except the Thelma, she is an old friend :lol:

xx
Squashes gone mad!

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:12
by Auntiemogs
xx
Squashes

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 19:55
by mumofstig
xx
help with squashes

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 19:26
by pink aubergine
xx
squashes

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 20:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 39 queries.