Sickly asparagus any ideas?

• 8 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Sickly asparagus any ideas?
« on: April 10, 2011, 18:56 »
All my two year old asparagus plants are huge except for two that are sick and spindly.  They've all had identical treatment and grew well last year.  I'm guessing the problem is in the soil somewhere any ideas please?

Only another year until I can eat them, hurrah. :)

Cheese makes everything better.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Re: Sickly asparagus any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 13:19 »
I am not sure there is anything to worry about necessarily: I still get the occasional spindly asparagus like yours from some of the plants yet those same plants also give me plenty of thick, proper asparagus.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 14:48 »
Very gently dig down with your fingers to the crown at the bottom of that shoot. See if it has rotted, been eaten by a bug or just sickly.

If there are no better shoots coming my inclination would be to dig it out and buy another to replace it. If you dig it out it may help to dig out some of the soil and replace it.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 15:30 »
There are no other stems coming up and that one is dying.  Looks like a furtle is in order. 

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 15:40 »
ah I was looking at the upright thin asparagi in your pic - only just seen the "wilted" one snoozing on the soil..yes a furtle below is needed.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 15:54 »
Just a thought - it's not a seedling from berries on the ferns last year? Mine were all supposed to be male but I got lots of berries on the ferns which I didn't think males produced..
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 15:58 »
Just had a rummage round and there is some rotting on the crown but there are also quite a few healthy looking roots.  Not sure whether to leave them alone or remove them now.  :wacko:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 16:09 »
Just had a rummage round and there is some rotting on the crown but there are also quite a few healthy looking roots.  Not sure whether to leave them alone or remove them now.  :wacko:

Tricky decision; they could well recover but it could take a couple of years to catch the others back up again but then again replacing them will involve the same wait!

I've had a few strugglers in my patch which barely managed two spindly ferns apiece but they did eventually catch up, but then again I've also lost one or two over the 6 or so years since I started with them, and probably not surprisingly it's always the younger plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 16:15 »
I'll see what happens and if they struggle all summer it's off to the compost heap in the sky and get some autumn planting ones.  Mind you, the others are huuuuge. :)

xx
Sickly looking garlic

Started by Jeff Glanrhyd on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 01:39
by Paul Plots
xx
sickly aubergines

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 18:07
by Deano27
xx
sickly sweetcorn

Started by shedgirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 20:24
by radiohead
xx
sickly looking blueberrys

Started by jakes-old-man on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 09:27
by JayG

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 29 queries.