Vicious attacks

• 4 Replies

PJM

Vicious attacks
« on: January 19, 2009, 13:35 »
Hope some one can Help. A friend of mine bought 4 chickens just over a year ago. 2 Partridge Wyandoottes and 2 lacewing Wyandottes, for all this time the coop and run has been quite harmonious. In November 1 of the Lace wings died suddenley no real sign of illness looked unhappy one day dead the next all very quick, and at first all was well. Then last Friday the 2 Partridge Wyandottes started attacking the Lacewing, and he had to keep splitting them up, They went to roost all together that night no problem, but as soon as they were let out Saturday the 2 Partridge launched the most vicious attack, and if left I feel would have killed her. She is at the moment seperated in the greenhouse next to the run, where they can still see each other. Can she be re introduced or will she have to be kept seperate? Thanks in advance of replies.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Vicious attacks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 19:39 »
My top hen does tend to bully the youngest a little. I put the youngest in the greenhouse as she kept going next-doors to get out of her way. This tended to make the problem a little worse. I then put the top hen in the greenhouse and this improved things.
You could try putting the worst aggressor on her own for a while and see if the other two get on better, or you could get another lacewing, but keep her separate as all three may attack her at first.
I hope it gets better as bullying is so nasty.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Vicious attacks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:34 »
The old saying that birds of a feather flock together is quite true. If there is one odd colored bird in a flock they will often pick it to death even if they were raised together.

Incubated birds are worse about it then hen raised birds are as they have nobody to teach them what they need to know about chicken society. Some may disagree with me but I have observed that the pecking order is a very complex thing indeed with a lot of politics done. Often time subordinates will pick on the birds of lower station to gain favor of those higher up in the order.

I would pull out one of the partridges and see how it goes but don't put the bullied girl in with either of the others if she has any wounds. And if you do seperate them make sure that they can not even see each other for at least a week. That should break the pecking order and put the Partridge back on the bottom.

PJM

Vicious attacks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 14:16 »
Thanks for the help. He has built an Ark to place alongside the current run, and I will pass this new info on to him. I was interested in nnmembers comments regarding picking on other colours, I have six Bantys 2 Partridge Dottes and four Buff orpy x Partridge Dottes and although I don't have any problems with mine The two breeds are always seperate even when they are all out together. Fascinating!

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
Vicious attacks
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 19:05 »
Hi I am so glad I've not had the bullying problems you describe.  I have silver laced wyandottes and I have noticed they are far more aggressive to newbies and interlopers than my other hens although they have taken to my white wyandotte very well.  They do stick together and don't mix terribly well.  I love them tho'   :tongue2:

...thinking about bullying does hen on human count??!! The white dotte is sooooo vicious when broody it's untrue!!! She's drawn blood on more than one occasion and I have to wear leather gloves if I go near her!!

Good luck sorting your problem out

Sarah
Mad chicken woman

xx
Vicious cockerel

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 14:43
by Catsmuvva
xx
help required for a vicious hen!!

Started by swift_half on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 20:50
by swift_half
xx
vicious Black Rock!

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 19:46
by bantam novice
xx
Vicious Welsummer Cockerel

Started by troll on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 19:11
by troll

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 37 queries.