Glyphosate Weedkiller

• 14 Replies

jim1972

Glyphosate Weedkiller
« on: September 22, 2013, 15:08 »
Was wondering if it's to late to apply glyphosate before i start my winter digging ?
Cheers
Jim

rem858

Re: Glyphosate Weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 15:11 »
I did my mine today you ideally need 6 hours of dry weather for it to absorb properly It still works with damp conditions just not as elective

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 15:14 »
Add a squirt of washing-up liquid to your mix to help it stick to any damp weed leaves.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 16:09 »
Did my paths & the area where my Spuds were this morning.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

jim1972

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 19:19 »
many thanks for all the replies looks like i'll get it sorted next saturday weather permitting
Cheers
Jim

Sparkyrog

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 19:42 »
Was wondering if it's to late to apply glyphosate before i start my winter digging ?
Cheers
Jim
Frankly now I would say yes ! on perennial weeds it need's 3 weeks when they are growing well ,and I would not bother on annual's .
I cook therefore I grow

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:56 »
Add a squirt of washing-up liquid to your mix to help it stick to any damp weed leaves.

Personal choice, but I don't do that as I think that the surfactants and adjuvants that are included in the branded product are specifically designed to do that, but also to break down the cell wall of the leaf to enable the Glyphosate to be absorbed, and I feel that adding something else may compromise that.  But it may well depend on what formulation folk use; I had used cheap brands for a number of years, but have come back to using Monsanto branded products now, particularly their more recent ones, as they have fewer toxic chemicals (which are to be found in the adjuvants, rather than the Glyphosate itself) - for example the latest Roundup products no longer even require a hazard label, whereas the generics do.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 22:54 »

Personal choice, but I don't do that as I think that the surfactants and adjuvants that are included in the branded product are specifically designed to do that, but also to break down the cell wall of the leaf to enable the Glyphosate to be absorbed, and I feel that adding something else may compromise that.  But it may well depend on what formulation folk use; I had used cheap brands for a number of years, but have come back to using Monsanto branded products now, particularly their more recent ones, as they have fewer toxic chemicals (which are to be found in the adjuvants, rather than the Glyphosate itself) - for example the latest Roundup products no longer even require a hazard label, whereas the generics do.
I have to agree with Goose'y it is common practice in agriculture  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 23:34 »

Still?  I used to do some work from Monsanto back in the 70's and back then I used to add fancy chemical surfactant that meant that only half the amount of Roundup was needed, and that was commonly used by farmers (the additive was cheaper than Roundup of course :) ), but I thought that the new Roundup formulations meant that such additives/surfactants were no longer of any benefit.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 00:25 »

Still?  I used to do some work from Monsanto back in the 70's and back then I used to add fancy chemical surfactant that meant that only half the amount of Roundup was needed, and that was commonly used by farmers (the additive was cheaper than Roundup of course :) ), but I thought that the new Roundup formulations meant that such additives/surfactants were no longer of any benefit.
I have been out off the agricultural side for about 8 years but it was still common then , I always had a couple of bottles on board  :)

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:57 »
I agree that adding surfactants, if you do not know what you are doing, may well make the glyphosate less effective. You could easily be adding the wrong amount or wrong type.

If you go by the label on the bottle glyphosate will work. 6 hours dry weather after application is important, you may get away with less.

Do not disturb the weeds until you see symptoms that they are affected as you need to allow the chemical to get right down the root system. The growing points start to turn yellow after about 10 days, sooner in good growing conditions. No need to wait until the plants are comletely dead, you can dig after about 10 days. No need to remove the weeds either as they are clinically dead.

Now is a good time to apply. If there is green leaf glyphosate will, in my experience, work in all but the coldest weather.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:56 by Salmo »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:38 »
I have been out off the agricultural side for about 8 years but it was still common then , I always had a couple of bottles on board  :)

Interesting to know; I'll chat with the local farmers and see if they still do that and report back.

Mr Dog

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 13:52 »

Interesting to know; I'll chat with the local farmers and see if they still do that and report back.

Even if the farmers are still adding their own 'surfactant' doesn't mean it makes it work better - in fact it's likely that if they do use their own additive they will have never tried it without as a comparison! As Salmo said earlier adding extra ingredients can easily upset the balance of this type of carefully formulated product (ie an emulsion) making it less effective.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 14:56 »
Indeed, but my thinking was that if the local farmers tell me that they no longer use any additives then I would find that informative :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 22:08 »
Indeed, but my thinking was that if the local farmers tell me that they no longer use any additives then I would find that informative :)
with that I agree  :)

xx
weedkiller

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:11
by tode
xx
Weedkiller

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 13:23
by sazhig
xx
Weedkiller

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 10:05
by mdjlucan
xx
Best Weedkiller to buy ?

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.