weedkiller

• 7 Replies

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
weedkiller
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:26 »
my plot is still over grown have dug some over and sprayed some about a month ago is it still OK to do it again now or does weed killer work any time of the year i have roundup! thank you

Ropster

Re: weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:54 »
Roundup only realy works when the weeds are actively growing, so it might work but it will take a while.
Probably better to cover with weed matting, black plastic or cardboard and leave for the winter

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:15 »
when you say leave for the winter will the weeds die over winter or will i then need to spray in the spring but i suppose the better option would be to go down over winter while it is nice and cold and get digging really

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:39 »
If there are green leaves then Roundup will work. The soil is still warm and plants are growing. It will be slow, perhaps 2 weeks before you see the first yellowing signs in the growing tips, maybe 6 weeks to see full effects. Whether there are visible signs of it working or not you can dig after 2 weeks as the weekiller will have penetrated as far as it is going to. You can plant crops immediately

Read the Roundup label carefully.

Two rules which will give you success. First, the leaves shouls be relatively dry. Second, there should be 6 hours of dry weather after it is applied. You will need to listen to weather forecasts. Also you will need a day with little wind to avoid drifting on to other areas.

Ropster

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 17:16 »
when you say leave for the winter will the weeds die over winter or will i then need to spray in the spring but i suppose the better option would be to go down over winter while it is nice and cold and get digging really

The weeds will die over the winter (apart from some of the real nasties like bindweed)

but if you have the time and inclination digging is the best way to get rid of them

SG6

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 19:05 »
Roundup will do a good job on killing weeds but eventually you will have to dig, if only to break the soil and remove the roots of what has been killed. Unfortunately the digging will bring to the surface new weed seeds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My approach is simple: One good spray, kill off whatever, then get the fork and then I get some long needed exercise.

Seeds will get in by several means so you will always see new weeds after just a week of the plot being dormant. :( :( :(

It will be a long drawn out war and the weeds have had longer to evolve then we have.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 20:01 »
i did the second half of my new plot with round-up 4 weeks ago and its only this week that it has died off fully (mine was all grass too)
 i stripped off what i could this week with a rake and spade, this long awaited rain has come just right, i should be able to dig it over at the weekend
first year grower

tode

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 20:11 »
It's not too late for Roundup, but try and get it done ASAP. 

Tough grass can be a bit difficult to treat, the spray tends to run off the leaves if they're a bit hairy. I find that adding one or two drops of washing-up liquid per 5 liters of mix helps to wet the grass.

xx
Best Weedkiller to buy ?

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
Weedkiller

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 10:05
by mdjlucan
xx
What do you do once you used weedkiller?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:21
by splodger
xx
Weedkiller

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 13:23
by sazhig

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 36 queries.