Lemongrass

• 5 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
Lemongrass
« on: July 23, 2009, 23:36 »
I've got one lemongrass growing strong in a pot on the kitchen window seal & was wondering how & if it is going to spread?

Vi

Re: Lemongrass
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 00:44 »
My lemon grass has just grown new shoots from the roots and has needed transplanting to a bigger pot a couple times.  I've got it outdoors now.  It has also produced seeds at one stage as well, but I've clipped them before they've matured to prevent it becoming an evnironmental weed.    You should be able to propagate it using division if you were looking to increase your plant.

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:25 »
Best outside for Lemongrass I think... :lol:
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 14:58 »
can you really grow lemon grass in the UK? Do you buy it from seed or as a small plant?

savbo

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 17:07 »
I've grown it from seed and it germinated well but took ages - never thick enough to cook with after a year. Now I just get a bunch from chinese supermarket (usually have more root plate left than at T***o) and plant em, sometimes after standing in a little water to get roots going. I have 1 outside and one in ghouse and ghouse one is doing better...

M

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 19:56 »
I've grown lemongrass successfully for a couple of years now. 2 years running I was stupid and left them outside over winter and lost them both before I had chance to harvest any! This year I am hedging my bets... I've got two in the greenhouse at different stages of growth, and 1 that I've sown on the allotment. Either way I will make sure to harvest and freeze them before its too late. Although I must say the earlier sown greenhouse specimen is much better than the other 2, so I think they need a long growing season. I am fully prepared to bring the pot grown specimens in doors to overwinter.

xx
Lemongrass

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 16:43
by gobs
xx
lemongrass

Started by poor gardener Joe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 22:36
by compostqueen
xx
Lemongrass

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 13:05
by savbo
xx
lemongrass

Started by johnny5 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 09:47
by barbarella

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 35 queries.