Lemongrass

• 4 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
Lemongrass
« on: March 26, 2009, 13:49 »
Has anyone ever successfully grown lemongrass? I like the flavour of it but I'm no good at growing it.

Can anyone give me some tip

Thanks

Stripey_cat

Re: Lemongrass
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 18:48 »
I grew some last year, but an early frost got it.  It raised easily from seed - I think I sowed it in good light at about 20C, in seed compost with a very thin sprinkling over it.  I kept it damp but not sopping, and it came up in a couple of weeks.  I grew it on in pots of normal compost, and it was doing OK by autumn, but still a bit small to harvest.  Since I forgot to bring it in, I haven't overwintered it, but I'll try again this year!

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:06 »
I too grew some from seed last year, usual method surface sown, sunny windowsill covered with a poly bag. Germination was quite good, and I replanted outside when the conditions were favourable. It grew to a good size plant in the first year, but someone stupidly left it outside over winter and it perished!! (me)  Still, I've sowed more this year, its germinated and I will remember to bring it in this year! I live in the south by the way, i dont know wether that made any difference?

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:57 »
i never knew i had it on my plot,,grew last spring 1st year i had it,,,
grows like a weed,dont bother with it inless your gonna grow it in a tub,or an old washing up bowl,
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

savbo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 13:05 »
Hi

I've grown it from seed in a heated greenhouse but it never got big enough to pick. However, I have had success sticking lengths of shop-bought lemongrass into largish (15cm) pots. New strong shoots came up that were picking size. Some shops seem to have ones that are cut very high leaving no root plate but Chinese supermarkets are usually good - I've got 4 on the go now, planted a few weeks ago after a month or two rooting in a glass of water... waiting for first shoots!

Only problem I had in the past was that they tend to come up in a line (i.e. to left and right of original piece rather than all the way round it...)) and reach the edge of the pots quite quickly.

Michael

xx
Lemongrass

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 19:56
by Tattyanne456
xx
lemongrass

Started by johnny5 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 09:47
by barbarella
xx
Lemongrass

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 10:24
by wellingtons
xx
Lemongrass

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 16:43
by gobs

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 36 queries.