Chicken queries

• 4 Replies

Stemar

Chicken queries
« on: August 01, 2009, 20:10 »
Hi there,

I have now had my chickens 4 weeks and 3 are laying eggs - I still feel really excited when I open the nesting box and see these beautiful perfectly formed eggs laying in the straw. 2 of the eggs have been double yolks and this set me thinking.

At the risk of sounding very stupid - do 2 chicks ever result from double yolks? or are they not viable?

I have also noticed that the 1st chicken to lay (Bovan Nera) is the dominant chook and the 2nd to lay (Isa Warren) the 2nd in the pecking order, I am unsure which is the 3rd to lay as today was the 1st occasion. Is this a coincidence or more likely an age thing?

I hope these are'nt deemed boring/silly questions but there is so much to learn.

Maria

Foxy

Re: Chicken queries
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 21:06 »
Not silly questions at all! It is not unusual for the most dominant hen to lay first, she is probably the oldest. Unfortunately although a double yolk can start to develop they wont hatch viable chicks due to the size of the egg and also the air sac not accommodating 2 chicks. :)
Finally you will never get bored of the sheer pleasure of collecting your own eggs! :D

Stemar

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 22:14 »
Thanks for that Foxy,

I've also noticed that their bed times also appear to follow the pecking order, ie: the first to bed the 2 at the lower end and the last 2 the top end !  :lol:  It may seem sad that I notice these things but they are so fascinating and such time wasters! I could watch them for hours.

Maria   

CheekyChick

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 22:38 »
hi, slightly off topic, I also have bovans and have also received 2 warrens, they are not getting all at all.I have seperated them but when i do free range them all they do is fight..Any advice..I would love to add them together and I know a pecking order will be done, but its horrible to watch them..
The Green Green Grass of Home..

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:25 »
When did you get your new ones? The pecking order battles can take a couple of weeks I'm afraid. Its often recommended to have them netted off from each other but still in full view for a while.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Newbie queries

Started by Cluckyclaire on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 23:18
by Cluckyclaire
xx
New hens have arrived - few queries?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 10:47
by Thingy
xx
Lots of queries re incubation

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 12:56
by Casey76
xx
A few queries on keeping ducks and feed

Started by inn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 13:56
by Caralou

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 30 queries.