Outdoor vs. indoor toms

• 5 Replies

FatMog

Outdoor vs. indoor toms
« on: July 26, 2010, 17:34 »
This year I'm growing outdoor toms for the first time; I always do indoor ones but somehow me and the tomato have never quite clicked and they never do that well.  I get lots of green ones but mostly they don't have time to ripen.

Anyway, I actually did a bit of research and actively chose some varieties for once.  They're all bush  (I don't have the vertical height for cordon in the greenhouse since I try to cram 2 layers in), so I've got Sub-arctic Plenty (short growing season) and Black Cherry in the greenhouse and Koralik and Legend (both alleged to be blight-resistant) outside. 

And hurrah!  they all seem quite happy but the outside toms have much more fruit set than the indoor and the Koralik has just started to produce a (hopefully increasing) stream of nice little ripe cherry toms.  This is a first for me, more than the odd ripe tom and ripe before the middle of august.  Amazing!

OK the koralik has not got the most tasty flavour but it's still streets ahead of a supermarket offering so I'm really pleased.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Outdoor vs. indoor toms
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 18:17 »
My few plants are grown half-in and half-out of a coldframe (i.e. although they are bush varieties the lids have to be taken off!) so I can't add to your observations, although you are not the first to mention that their outdoor varieties have been quicker to develop than their greenhouse ones.

I think the weather has been kinder than usual to outdoor tomatoes so far this year (we won't mention the "b" word!) and cherry tomatoes tend to ripen quicker than larger varieties anyway. Mine are Red Alert (a known early variety) and I had the first one about a fortnight ago; the cordon tomatoes in my neighbour's greenhouse are weeks away from ripening but they are different varieties and will no doubt get there in the end!

Glad yours have come right for you!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 19:27 »
My outdoor sungold started ripening before the ones in the greenhouse. :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 21:41 »
I never grow indoor toms cos I've only got a tiny greenhouse, which I reserve for the chillis and sweet peppers. I prefer bush varieties cos I don't even have to bother with training up a cane or sideshooting them, and they've always done really well for me. I plant them in the ground or in containers. They're more work for watering in a container but they do seem to ripen a bit quicker in them, probably cos I put them on my sheltered patio which is a suntrap. This year I've been eating Gartenperle, Red Alert and Sungold for weeks now. Red Alert is my favourite for taste, but the Gartenperle have been very prolific, giving a huge crop from very small plants.

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 21:54 »
I never grow indoor toms cos I've only got a tiny greenhouse,

Same here.  I grow mine outside in a sheltered spot.  This year Outdoor girl are very poor, but good old Alicante and Moneymaker have huge toms just starting to pink up.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14 »
Trying latah bush variety this year been picking about 3 weeks. Second year for a trailing cherry maskotka about 3 weeks.

I started them off inside and they have been out side since April just covered at night.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
indoor or outdoor

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 22:52
by daveypark
xx
Tomato Help - Indoor/outdoor!

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 01:00
by Eightball
xx
Indoor / outdoor groups

Started by Highfield on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 16:11
by Highfield
xx
Indoor toms not come up

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 13:29
by hubballi

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 38 queries.