Planting out, what, when?

• 3 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Planting out, what, when?
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:33 »
Obviously you guys are not weather forecasters and can't predict the last frost (can you?) but it is really really doing my head in taking things in and out of house and greenhouse every morning and night.  So any opinions on the following (I am in the midlands)

Being hardened off in the greenhouse (no heat and on a deck so reasonably cold oevrnight):

Tomatoes (finaly resting place will be the cols greenhouse)
Peppers (--"--)
Courgettes
Squashes / Pumpkins

Being hardened off outside and g'house overnight:

Runner Beans
French Beans
Sunflowers
Sweetcorn

Also have brassica's that I keep moving inside as they don't seem to like getting waterlogged and we are finally having some rain.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Planting out, what, when?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:41 »
I wouldn't risk it yet, VW.  I may be further north than you, but the weather can turn bad for any of us and I've recorded a couple of colder nights (down to +2c) these past few days, but before that it hadn't dropped below about +5c so I was going to risk putting some of my more tender stuff out.  Some of the taties that weren't quite covered with the edges of the fleece have slightly blackened leaves where the frost has caught them.

I'm glad I waited!

It might be a pain and seem like a waste of your time, but if you rush it then your carefully looked after plants could end up on the compost heap and you'll have lost several weeks of nurturing.   On the other hand, stuff started slightly later often does better than the earlier stuff so you could risk it if you have the time and patience to start over again  :happy:

It's only for a couple more weeks... that's not so bad!

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:53 »
Thanks, that is what I thought, just desperate to get rid of my daily chore!!

What about the toms & peppers & Courgette's do they still need to be kept in the house overnight or could I leave them in the g'house now???

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 17:33 »
mine have all been in the gh from the start so I'd say it should be OK provided you don't have any draughts and you remember to not let the gh get too hot otherwise they may go leggy and won't stand up properly when they eventually do go out.  :)

xx
Planting out!

Started by pinkdaisychain on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 18:55
by sunshineband
xx
Planting out

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 21:07
by Jackypam
xx
planting out?

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:55
by Bluedave
xx
Planting something different

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 09:51
by surbie100

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 28 queries.