Planting something different

• 17 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Planting something different
« on: January 25, 2013, 17:26 »
Hi all,

I've been pondering what to grow this year - I've probably bought too many first early seed potatoes so might not have any room till the summer but...
I've got half a plot that is given over to a couple of raised beds (one asparagus, one currently winter onions), goosebury, raspberry, loganberry, strawberries, blackcurrant and a couple of unidentified 'berries' that I inherited. There's then enough space for a block of sweetcorn and I'll probably look to put a couple of small apple trees in.
I am just in the process of clearing the other half of the plot - I'll put in peas and some runners, courgettes and squash - but I'll be left with maybe a third of this space empty - so I'm after suggestions for what to plant or research a little more.
I'm not over keen on brassicas, the site has suffered from blight over the last few years so I won't be doing toms, carrots I'll sling in a raised container or two.  I've just ordered some 'cape gooseberries' as they sound up my street. I've seen mixed reviews for 'Jostaberries'. (Hmm just noticed that 'berry' seems to be mentioned quite a bit in this post - suggestions don't *have* to be berry-related!)
So - ideas for interesting/different plants would be most welcome.  :unsure:
Thnx in advance
Balders

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting something different
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 18:17 »
Perhaps some unusual-looking beans?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Totty

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 22:22 »
If you would like some more fruit, there are loads of unusual ones. We have a couple of honeyberry  bushes, they are only a couple of years old so will be cropping properly this year but the fruit is really good, very similar to blueberrys but without the soil requirements.

On the veg side, also lots to try. Both globe and Jerusalem artichoke make impressive plants and are both delicious. Cardoons are largely forgotten and rarely grown but are something different, when growing they look superb and when prepared they look like celery and taste like artichoke.

Totty

Ema

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:51 »
I'm hoping to try strawberry spinach have hear a lot of good things about it

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:03 »
Going on your thread title, I'm answering as "different" to what you're already growing, rather than *unusual".

I see no mention of:

Onions
Leeks
Garlic
Herbs of any description
Celery
Squash
Courgettes
Cucumbers

I could go on. You'd be better growing what you know you'll eat, rather than possibly wasting space on something untested.

I would also suggest that as it seems you have space, because you're asking for ideas, that you get those seed spuds in.

If you wait until summer to plant them, you may not properly crop them. Blight & time will be your enemies.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03 »

If you cook a lot you could have a nice large herb patch with lots of the old (and largely forgotten) variaties?

You could also grow a fun selection of different squash and pumpkins? There seems to be lots of novel, fun and interesting variaties to try.

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:13 »
Thanks for the advice / suggestions.

I hadn't really though of herbs and the whole courgette/squash/pumpkin exotic variety scene! - so I'll do a bit of research on what & how.

My leeks last year never really got going - there are still a few in the ground but they never put on any 'weight' - is that likely due to the lack of sun? They got fed a little...

What outdoor varieties of cucumbers have people had success with? I planted 5 Japanese cucumbers last year - but only one cropped to any degree.

My seeds potatoesare chitting at the moment - another 4 or 5 weeks till they go in teh ground?

Garlic is in pots and doing well - just some organic bulbs from the supermarket - was pleased top see them germinate.

Forgot to mention the red baron onion set - does the ground need to warm up a bit?

Thanks again
Balders
(off to the plot after a bacon buttie)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41 »
I wouldn't be too discouraged by last year's results. It wasn't the greatest growing season ever!

I'll hopefully start spud planting at the end of March, you may be OK a few weeks early down in Devon.

Cucumber-wise, I always do well outside with "Marketmore".

Re the garlic, you may be OK but generally it's not a good idea to grow shop bought, as you don't know under what climate that variety was grown. It may not suit ours.

SkyeEnt

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 00:43 »
Something fun and different is Achocha.  A sort of climbing plant that produces lots of little pods.   If you pick them young they can be used like courgettes or lady's fingers.  I grew them a couple of times in Solihull.  They have very decorative foliage with delicate hand like leaves.  Quite vigorous - you'd need netting or a frame to grow them up, or they might scramble into your trees if they're fairly large.

I would however agree also with DD.  Grow what you know you like as well.  Keep it simple and start small.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50 »
Cape gooseberries are lovely and easy to grow. I grow mine in the greenhouse.
They sometimes look a bit ropey after transplanting - stick with them - I think its just shock.
A herb patch is always nice if you have the space but bear in mind that some get a bit rampant and need a bit of controlling - mint, lemon balm (coming up all over my plot) and rosemary (got a bit leggy and big!)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 21:06 »
To be honest, I think it is worth considering varieties of fairly standard veg.  You can't beat serving up a salad of mixed coloured tomatoes (for example).  I did this last year at a party and some of my guests hadn't ever seen the variety of tomatoes I could serve up in a salad! 

There are lots of heritage varieties of veg which have been long forgotten - beautiful tomatoes, summer and winter squashes and then some of the newer stuff - foot long beans, purple climbing beans, purple mange tout, "yellow" raspberries, etc. 

I personally always try to grow things that simply aren't available in the supermarket.  I would recommend the purple climbing bean "brauhilde" and "shiraz" purple mange tout.  I would also recommend black cherry, sungold, tigerella and brandywine tomatoes.  In addition, winter festival squashes are prolific and round courgettes are just as easy to grow and more versatile than the traditional ones.

Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 23:22 »
I'm trying a little of cucamelons, callalou, cape gooseberries and pak choi this year, as well as different beans and a host of new types of squash, which I'm really looking forward to.

Cukes-wise I had great success with Marketmore 76 outdoors last year. The Crystal Apples were very tasty too.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 15:42 »
Asparagus peas?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 15:54 »
I would suggest that before you grow asparagus peas that you try them. They appeal to a very limited number of people's pallets!

(They are of course neither peas nor asparagus).

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 22:11 »
I would suggest that before you grow asparagus peas that you try them. They appeal to a very limited number of people's pallets!

(They are of course neither peas nor asparagus).

I liked them & so did OH, no one we gave them to liked them though.

xx
Planting

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2020, 16:33
by Yorkie
xx
Planting Now?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 09:28
by mad mark
xx
Planting Out Tom's

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 15:26
by stompy
xx
Planting Out

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 13:53
by chris23005

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 37 queries.