Poor season so far.

• 63 Replies

miggs

Poor season so far.
« on: June 26, 2016, 11:57 »
Is it just me or is anyone else having a poor season so far. Most of my seeds this year have been a disaster. I have just this minute thrown away lot's of Chilli's, Tomato's for instance because they are just not growing. They all seem to get to about 1" tall and then stop.
Last year I had fantastic crop's with all my seeds when grown/started in general purpose compost, this year I tried a seed compost and am so disappointed.

ianl

• Experienced Member
Re: Poor season so far.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03 »
After numerous sowings, my French beans / runner beans are nearly 1" high ☹️

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:34 »
Periods of colder than average temperatures, a long dry spell, and lots of slugs and snails have made outdoor sowings more hit and miss here than in many previous years, and few crops are exactly romping away now either.

Stuff in the GH is about where it should be at the moment, although in my case that's only tomatoes and cukes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:38 »
The only thing that seems to be going well for me this year is the cucumbers and courgettes. My toms have never looked so sickly, and I'm resigned to not getting much (if anything) from them.  I do think it may be my fault, as I used the Miracle Grow with feed and water stuff for potting on this year.  Even the basil I used it for has misshapen leaves, although, as I said, the cues and courgettes seem to have liked it... :blush:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

chillimummy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 12:53 »
My toms and cucumber in the greenhouse are fine but at plot, nothing really surviving being eaten!
Broad beans look small and sickly, peas and beans barely grown and minimal germination from spinach,beetroot and pak choi. Got more seeds so going to sow more of them at home. 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 15:48 »
In the greenhouse toms and cukes are growing ok, but it will be a long while before I get anything useable.
Garden courgette is growing strongly with lots of (male) flowers on  ::)

On the plot everything is very slow growing, if it actually survives the slug attacks. I've got a really good selection of squash plants in this year, but I have no confidence of getting any to harvest - unless we have a real change in the weather.

al78

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 20:45 »
Things on my plot are slow to get going and are getting slowly slug munched. Unfortunately the spring has been mostly cool in the south east, followed by a grotty start to summer. It is looking likely that at least some parts of the south east will record its dullest June on record. Could someone from the north please come down and reclaim their weather, as I have had enough of it  :mad:.

oldgrunge

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 21:10 »
Thank Heavens! I thought it was just me. Had difficulty germinating/ growing on lots of things, including lettuce, rocket, French beans, etc. I put it down to a very wet Autumn, mild winter, hot dry Spring, and cool early summer.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 22:48 »
Touch wood, I'm having a reasonable time. Only the carrots have been an unmitigated disaster. I bought a grow light and swear by it. In conjunction with a couple of heated propagators it got everything I sowed in the greenhouse off to a really good start.

My plot is on sand so I didn't have any water-logging problems and the worst of the rain, somehow, bypasses our village. Now the soil is warm and moist and I still have 3000+ litres of water ready for the drought that is sure to ensue.

My heart goes out to those of you having weather problems.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:04 »
My toms have never looked so sickly, and I'm resigned to not getting much (if anything) from them.  I do think it may be my fault, as I used the Miracle Grow with feed and water stuff for potting on this year. 

Two years ago I added Growmore to the compost in my home made tomato planters as I filled them up, but instead of mixing it in well I unaccountably (face-saving substitute word for 'stupidly'  :blush:) left it in a single layer.

The plants were stunted and unhappy for about a month, presumably because their roots got burnt, but the good news is they did grow through it and cropped quite well in the end, although of course I didn't get the precious lost month back.

Obviously I don't know whether you mixed your fertiliser in well, or whether what you used was as 'hot' as dry Growmore, but I thought I'd mention my experience (and the happy ending) just in case.

As long as your containers are well drained, plenty of water will help to dilute and disperse any potentially excess fertiliser.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37 »
Things aren't doing well for me this year comparing against last year's photos!

Most things either just aren't thriving or are being eaten!  I have more of less given up on calabrese and cauliflower so have an empty bed with nothing to put into it instead.

Hannah

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:48 »
Our garden association hold their annual plot competition at the end of June which I think is a stupidly early time of year anyway (I think more likely it is actually a plot inspection) but this year my beds are not as well ahead as in previous years because I've been delaying the sowing and it's been too cold or dull or wet for things to get going.  The potatoes on the other hand are over 3 feet tall (please don't get blight, please don't get blight) and the onion sets planted late are doing fine. I've been harvesting early maturing garlic with some good results.  A bit of a so-so so far - I'm still hopeful it will all turn round in time for the glut of courgettes, cucumber, tomatoes and sweetcorn ....

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 12:11 »
My toms have never looked so sickly, and I'm resigned to not getting much (if anything) from them.  I do think it may be my fault, as I used the Miracle Grow with feed and water stuff for potting on this year. 

Two years ago I added Growmore to the compost in my home made tomato planters as I filled them up, but instead of mixing it in well I unaccountably (face-saving substitute word for 'stupidly'  :blush:) left it in a single layer.
The plants were stunted and unhappy for about a month, presumably because their roots got burnt, but the good news is they did grow through it and cropped quite well in the end, although of course I didn't get the precious lost month back.
Obviously I don't know whether you mixed your fertiliser in well, or whether what you used was as 'hot' as dry Growmore, but I thought I'd mention my experience (and the happy ending) just in case.
As long as your containers are well drained, plenty of water will help to dilute and disperse any potentially excess fertiliser.
It was the ready made compost Jay, and I bought it from somewhere with a high turnover,so it should have been fine.  I can only think that there was something in there that they really didn't like... :(

Never mind eh?  There's always next year.  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 13:13 »
Ah, I getcha now - thought you'd added some sort of fertiliser and water-retaining crystals to the bought compost.  ;)

Back to the drawing board - I supposed it's even possible your toms are starved, although that seems pretty unlikely given the fact the cukes and courgettes seem OK - perhaps give it a couple of weeks to see if they pick up and if they don't try a liquid feed - there won't be much to lose by then...

3759allen

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 19:43 »
i did start late but with the spring weather i'm so behind it's un real. at least i'm not the only one behind tho.

xx
Poor season for shows?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
New Season

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:10
by sazhig
xx
what a season so far

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 10:17
by surbie100

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 37 queries.