Turning a Lawn Into an Allotment

• 8 Replies

mrbcsd

• No Allotment
Turning a Lawn Into an Allotment
« on: July 14, 2016, 00:17 »
Hi all,

I searched for a similar task, but didn't manage to find what I was after.

I have a moderately sized rear garden and would like to keep that for the dogs to run around in. I have raised beds in the drive and a conservatory FULL of plants! I also have a large front garden that would be ideal to grow fruit and veg in but would like to know if anyone could offer advice.

If I dig up the front garden https://noallotment.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/img_8549.jpg then how far do you think I can dig down with good soil bearing in mind the house was built in 1975?

Thanks in advance!

snow white

Re: Turning a Lawn Into an Allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:44 »
From the picture the area is quite small so I would get more raised beds then the question of soil is redundant.

mrbcsd

• No Allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01 »
Hi snow white, I didn't even consider raised beds. That's a great idea. Thanks for your response :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 20:07 »
Brilliant- digging up your front garden for veg!  Good luck

no_akira

• Pallet wood Hydro-driver
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 22:07 »
Would appear from the image that your garden is heavily shaded ? With the high fences ?

Could also just be that the photo was taken late evening.
"How is that allotment site, I'd heard its heavy going, clay like..."

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 00:23 »
Could be a lot of builders rubble under that grass...

madcat

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 09:11 »
Don't expect too much in your first year and don't get too downhearted.  Speaking from experience - our allotment had been part of a field a week earlier when we took it over - there will be a lot of cutworm, millipedes etc, root eaters all, under the grass just waiting for a change of diet.  But what a difference a year's cultivation and the support of the robins and blackbirds makes!  Year 2 was much better and we went on from there ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:00 »

I'm all in favour of raised beds but I would still dig first. You can then get rid of any builders rubble you come across. You've got until spring to make a good job of it.

Stack the turf on one side and cover with a tarpaulin, as that will make good topsoil.
Double dig the ground adding manure, compost or whatever organic matter you can get hold of. Even if it is fresh manure.
Construct your beds, if that's the path you want to take (no pun intended). Add extra topsoil if you need to. If you get it dug soon you could grow a green manure crop over the winter to add more humus to the soil.

By next spring the manure in the soil will be rotting well, you might get some odd shaped carrots or parsnips in the first year but you'll be fine after that and the soil will be in good heart. The turf stack should be ready to add to the beds.

As has been said you will have all sorts of bugs in the soil that will munch your roots in the first year so don't get too disheartened if you lose a few plants to them, they won't like the cultivated soil so much after that and will diminish quickly. If you get your beds dug soon you can cut up some potatoes into chunks and plant them about six inches deep and put a cane where you put each one so you can find it again. Leave them for a few weeks then dig them up, they will attract some of the bugs which you can then remove and dispose of, repeat as necessary. Same with slugs using upturned grapefruit skins on the surface or beer traps.

Browse the seed catalogues over winter then halve what you think you want to grow as I'll bet you will over order  :)  You can always buy extra seeds/plants next year if you have any space left. I would favour fairly robust veg in the first year, such as potatoes, onions, leeks. Leave the more delicate things like strawberries etc until the root munchers have diminished.

Have fun.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 21:16 »
Triki's advice is good if you have the energy I would just add that once you have removed the grass,dug over the soil, I would replace the grass,green side down,then add the manure,compost & some topsoil, & yes you might find cut & eel worm to start with but you can bury cut potatoes with a stick sticking up so you can find them to encourage those nuisances out in to the potato, then pull them out on the stick,dispose of the litter in your dust bin  & repeat to clear the ground
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Turning lawn to vegetables

Started by stephen dewar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 13:17
by stephen dewar
question
ADVICE ON TURNING PIG RUN INTO ALLOTMENT PLEASE

Started by hellebore on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2009, 11:44
by Christine
xx
Cauli's turning turning purple

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 13:11
by Oscar Too
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 36 queries.