Long time no write

• 0 Replies

blossom1044

Long time no write
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:28 »
Hi all, been a bit busy at our place.

Just an update all 4 chickens - Madras, Balti, Korma and Jalfezi are doing very well.  The ru being on the concrete and nearer the house has meant no fox this year.  I think the dogs keep them at bay.

We had a bad laying spell in the very cold weather when they laid every other day and then the shells were weak.  I put it down to the -5 temperatures!  the rest of the time even in the snow they are laying very well we are currently getting 3 to 4 eggs a day which I was surprised about considering the shorter days.

They are so funny.  they line up wanting to come out the run in the mornings.  You can tell the true pecking order as well.  The dogs love them.  It's quite fun sitting watching the labrador walk around with a light sussex on his back and a cocker spaniel being chase by a Blue Haze and a Maran.  I am very remise though as these moments are never when I have a camera to hand.  as the weather improves you'll get lots of chooks and dog mingling picks.

The only problem we've had is rats.  We have baited and trapped all the runs, but the bad weather has seen an influx from the woods behind the house.  I'm not keen on it as they are 50 feet from the house which is a bit near from me.  Though we're cleaning and clearing and poisoning regularly.  I think I've killed the nest that came in during the cold snap as I haven't seen any for at least a week.  It took a while, but the best results have been since I managed to get hold of some "professional" rat bait.  It's the bain of chickens and the problem with this time of year I know.  Just got to keep on top of it.

Hope you are all well.

new to hens
Thanks
T

xx
Long time no login

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 09:42
by Flowerpower136
xx
Long time in the nest box!!!

Started by lmpd on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 14:32
by symonep
xx
Hello - long time no cluck! - and a quail question ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 09:35
by 3frenchhens
xx
hens turning on long time buddy

Started by janity u on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 20:38
by janity u

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 29 queries.