Fat necked onions

• 7 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Fat necked onions
« on: July 25, 2015, 21:40 »
Hi folks, many of our onions this year have got fat necks so presumably won't keep.  We had a winter green manure on that plot previously and I've read that too much nitrogen can cause this.  Could this be the green manure causing it?  Also we have quite alkaline soil.  Opinions welcome!

Steveharford

Re: Fat necked onions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:34 »
What green manure did you use ? I was thinking of sowing some caliente mustard before my autumn sets.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:24 »
Insufficient potassium can lead to thickened necks on the onion bulbs as well as too much nitrogen. I have found that a watering with Sulphate of Potash a couple of times helps. I do this about May time, and at this point also stop giving them any high nitrogen feed like chicken pellets too. 

I am not sure that a previous green manure crop could be the cause though. Onions are greedy beasts and would have used up any nitrogen provided via green manure quite quickly imho
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:22 »
What green manure did you use ? I was thinking of sowing some caliente mustard before my autumn sets.
It was a winter mix of clover, ryegrass and mustard.  Only really saw one thing growing though, think it was the ryegrass. 

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:26 »
Insufficient potassium can lead to thickened necks on the onion bulbs as well as too much nitrogen. I have found that a watering with Sulphate of Potash a couple of times helps. I do this about May time, and at this point also stop giving them any high nitrogen feed like chicken pellets too. 

I am not sure that a previous green manure crop could be the cause though. Onions are greedy beasts and would have used up any nitrogen provided via green manure quite quickly imho

I read somewhere that it may be a lack of phosphorus, (P) whereas Potash is (K) isn't it?  I do find the whole NPK thing confusing!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16 »
Bumblejo - NPK can be confusing but hope this helps a bit. Putting it simply, Nitrogen (N) is used mainly for leafy veg, potash or potassium (from its old name Kalium, hence the K) for anything that has flowers, and  phosphorous (P) for roots. Too much nitrogen on veg that doesn't need a lot can make sappy growth, so think that could be the reason.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 20:08 »
Cheers Goosegirl, that explains it well, will copy that out and stick it up in the shed!
Jo.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 12:48 »
Thanks BJ. As well as that, it also depends on how much of these you already have in your soil. Nitrogen is easily washed out by rain so sometimes you need to add some more if you've had a lot of wet weather especially over winter.

xx
Thick-necked onions

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 17:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
thick necked onions

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:35
by grinling
xx
fat necked onions : will they store

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 21:58
by DD.
xx
Double necked exhibition onion disaster

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 21:25
by Motivator

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 30 queries.