Dispatching a chicken - advice please

• 45 Replies

poultrygeist

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 11:11 »
Other members have managed to rehome cockerels on the SWAPSHOP before now but if you're hungry I don't see it as any worse than buying a free range chicken.

You know he's been well looked after and most of them end up in the pot.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29 »
Fifitrix dont be so hard on yourself -you are doing the right and responsible thing. It is only natural to feel a bit emotional, he has had a super life. Good for you!
I have 2 to do in a week or so -keep putting it off..... :shock:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 12:32 »
I don't think you are cruel and heartless at all!

He has had an infinately better life than anything you can buy and probably a fair bit longer too!

Having to get rid of something that you thought of as a pet is always hard but knowing exactly where your food has come from is some consolation. I ate my spare drake last year and will do the same this year. Think the deed is always going to be horrible but having a fully home grown meal was a fabulous feeling.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 19:05 »
Thanks again everyone.  Thanks for the reasurance.  Phew was getting a bit panicy there!

The deed is now done and I have it all ready for Sunday lunch!

Shame he was very docile this morning sat in the cat basket waiting to go.  Felt pretty guilty but hey ho that's life.  I just got home and the other one started crowing!   :roll:  :roll:   I promised the kids we wouldn't kill that one because we nursed it back from death when the cat got it!  However am not sure anyone will want it because it's got a duff eye!

poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 19:14 »
Well done Fifitrix. We'll all be round just before dinnertime on SUnday  :wink:

I remember when Jimmy wotsit (Jamie Oliver's mate) did a series on farming, a bloke who raised deer for meat was in tears while they were going through for slaughter. He must have seen thousands go that way but still obviously felt sad about it. But we all eat the meat so have to face the fact that it needs to be done.

Someone will love your cyclops as much as you do. I'm sure you'll manage to find him a home if you give it a few days. I doubt there's anything wrong with his genes which is all he's needed for.

Rob 8)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Re: Dispatching a chicken - advice please
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 11:36 »
So I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not Mr Speckldy but my Buff Orpington.  The trouble was the guy who did Mr Speckldy was not happy to have an audience so i never learnt how to do and was in the same position when the Orp started crowing.

He's been getting noisier and noisier and living in suburbia we're waiting for the neighbours to decend on us any minute.  Anyway, he's also started to attack us and this morning really viciously attacked my daughter.

I've tried advertising him FTGH but to no avail so I took my upset @ what happened to my daughter and just got on with it.

No I'm not happy that I had to do it and I'm a shaking reck, there were tears too I have to admit and I'm not very proud of myself as I'm worried I didn't do it as quickly and cleanly as I could.  He didn't flap alot and just seemed to shake and regurgitate his breakfast.  Is this ok?  He also just wriggled for quite a long time afterwards.   :( :(

The trouble was I couldn't really feel a snap in his neck although it went pretty limp.  Please don't berate me those of you who said I shouldn't do it if I didn't know what I was doing because i had to start at some point.

However, any tips on how I could have done it better are greatfully received for next time.  (we have eggs he's fertilised in the incubator as I write!).

too many girls

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 11:50 »
i couldn't eat him, we have our laying hens and a whole mish mash of other birds as pets, the table birds are kept as livestock, don't have names ect, i explained to my kids at the beginning what was acceptable to keep as pets and what wasn't, they have no problem with the killing and eating of the table birds but they welched on the ducks and now the ducks are pets........................he is your bird and only you know whats best, nobody is going to condem you or think your cruel if you choose to cull him for the table,
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:52 by TMG »

poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 12:21 »
Don't beat yourself up Fifitrix. There has to be a first time and I can't imagine it ever being pleasant or easy.

I can't offer advice on technique I'm afraid.

Rob

too many girls

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 14:16 »

I can't offer advice on technique I'm afraid.

Rob

neither can i, i'm a wuss and when it's dispatch time i zip off to Morrisons...............
well done Fifi

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 14:29 »
I didn't know they dispach chickens.  I've obviously missed that one big time.   ::) ::)

cartimandua51

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 19:37 »
So I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I'm not happy that I had to do it and I'm a shaking reck, there were tears too I have to admit and I'm not very proud of myself as I'm worried I didn't do it as quickly and cleanly as I could.  He didn't flap alot and just seemed to shake and regurgitate his breakfast.  Is this ok?  He also just wriggled for quite a long time afterwards.   :( :(

The trouble was I couldn't really feel a snap in his neck although it went pretty limp.  Please don't berate me those of you who said I shouldn't do it if I didn't know what I was doing because i had to start at some point.

However, any tips on how I could have done it better are greatfully received for next time.  (we have eggs he's fertilised in the incubator as I write!).

Just killed my first cockerel; like you I'm not at all sure how effective I was.
All the articles blithely say  "pull down sharply and the neck dislocates" or something similar... how do you KNOW it's happened?! Not just me; our neighbour who is ex-Army Special Services says HE couldn't do it properly.
I took a belt and braces approach - before starting I equipped myself with old clothes, sharp knife, bucket & cord; and positioned myself under a handy tree. Tied bird's feet together; sharp pull to neck per instructions, neck felt floppy but no flapping and chook just blinked up at me. Dead? Not dead??
Quickly strung bird up & cut its throat so blood drained into bucket. Couple of wing flaps then its eyes closed and obviously dead.
I suppose the whole process took a minute or so, but I'm not very comfortable with it. But I read the Defra stuff on the dispatchers & am not happy with them either.
The electric stunners seem to be c.£250 so not really an option; the only other thing I've seen advertised is the Cash Poultry Killer , which seems to be a sort of air-powered cosh - no price quoted on the website. Anybody got any knowledge of these?

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 20:27 »
Neck dislocation is an art and I'm not entirely sure if practicing is entirely ethical.

Seperating the head from the body with one blow is guaranteed to result is a dead chook.

I always use an axe and block. Simple but it's never failed yet.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 20:30 »
Have you still got all your fingers ?  ;)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 20:34 »
I would strongly recommend anyone thinking of dispatching chooks to attend an appropriate course and I would recommend the Kill Pluck Gut & Bone course run by Alison at Hook Farm in Hampshire.

THe courses sell out quite quickly but are well worth it and (dare I say) a lot of fun!

www.chickenkeeper.co.uk

Check out this thread I started about the course a few months ago

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 23:33 »
Have you still got all your fingers ?  ;)

Just the middle one left ;)

sad
dispatching a chicken

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 20:32
by ADARLOW
xx
Chicken dispatching/culling device?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 22:52
by Tiggersmate
xx
Dispatching

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 14:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
Dispatching

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 22:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 31 queries.