has Nugget got mareks ?

• 9 Replies

wadz81

• Experienced Member
has Nugget got mareks ?
« on: August 30, 2010, 20:27 »
I have a very poorly girl  :( She is breathing really heavily so we have given her garlic powder, seemed a bit more perky this morning but at tea time when we got home she seemed worse. She is very lethargic, keeps closing her eyes, and sitting down, her tail is down and her comb is a bit pale and droopy. She seems to waddle not walk, we have gad her 3 years now and the other 5 seem fine. :( Can anyone help what can we do ?

wadz81

• Experienced Member
Re: has Nugget got mareks ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 20:48 »
She is drinking lots all the time, we have also given some worming pellets but don't know if it was her who ate them all. Not seen her eat for a couple of days, and she was a bit off a few months ago when we gave her a bath and blow dry because we thought she was egg bound. Seemed to pick up but never been herself since pootles round on her own alot.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 20:57 »
What breed is she.  Hybrids often dont live very long, and birds in general don't live all that long - so maybe it is just nature :(  I am sure you have given her a lovely life anyway.

Sometimes I have found that a few drop of Bach's Rescue Remedy in the beak can help with a very poorly or distressed bird, but it probably won't help something really serious.  I did read something about a lethal gene in some of the modern hybrids.

all the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 21:05 »
she's a baker brown/warren. just a standard little girl, my little gardening buddy  :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 23:34 »
I don't think its Mareks at that age.  Modern hybrids were only bred to last 2 years as in the commercial farms they are culled at around 18 months.  So she is a good age, but saying that, Aunt Sally's eldest is nearly 5 I think.

Some of mine are well over 3 now and are going a bit ald on top and look a bit slow, but they still wizz across the run for some corn!!

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 00:58 »
I doubt this is Mareks which generally shows itself as a nervous system disorder such as paralysis.  It usually strikes younger birds and the general symptoms are:

•Paralysis of legs, wings and neck.
•Loss of weight.
•Grey iris or irregular pupil.
•Vision impairment.
•Skin around feather follicles raised and roughened.

All these symptoms don't occur with every strain of Mareks of which there are 4.

Your chicken sounds like she has a respiratory disease.  Re the laboured breathing, is there any rattling, sneezing, runny nose or eyes. If so an antibiotic for Mycoplasma maybe in order which only your vet can prescribe.  It could be Infectous Bronchitis which often affects older birds and for which there's no cure though antibiotics may help combate secondary infections.  The waddling could indicate being egg bound which could also indicate IB.  When she last layed was there any indication of shell wrinkling? If so this strengthens the possibility of
IB.                                     

A visit to the vet is probably indicated.  You maybe faced with culling her if the symptoms persist and she deteriorates
Truth through science.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58 »
My little baby passed away last night, made them some porridge this morning because it was a bit of a cold start to the day, and when we went to let them out she was on the top nest box looking very peaceful. I will miss her soooooooooooooo much who will do the gardening with me now R.I.P. Nugget xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:55 »
 :(, so sorry xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:04 »
Very sorry for your loss       RIP Nugget :(        nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 19:23 »
thanks everyone will miss her but the other 5 are keeping me on my toes or is that standing on my toes  :wacko: she's at peace now bless her  :(

xx
Chicken Nugget.....

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 13:04
by Jellyhead
xx
Nugget's stopped laying - Help!

Started by psychobabble on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 13:35
by OpiumEater
xx
crazy chicken nugget

Started by spaulaj on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 19:11
by spaulaj
xx
Spraddle Leg on young Nugget.

Started by ScottBarton on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 11:33
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 32 queries.