Nugget's stopped laying - Help!

• 9 Replies

psychobabble

Nugget's stopped laying - Help!
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:42 »
Hi all, I have trawled the net and not been able to find a reason for why my little chicken, nugget, has stopped laying...she doesn't seem to have lice, red mite, she's not moulting (or at least I don't think she is??) it not because of daylight hours, she is eating and drinking and behaving otherwise as normal - she doesn't seem to be broody - is not sitting in nest box etc so does anyone have any ideas?  the only thing that I can possibly think of is that she is my daughters favourite so she is picked up and "played" with more than the others and maybe this is causing her some stress (my daughter is 14 so she's fairly sensible with her) but she has always been the most docile and friendliest of the girls so I can't understand this being the cause... She is a gold star hybrid and lives with my other two girls, salad and soup (a bluebell and a sussex star).  BTW the kids named them, not me!

Many thanks :)

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Re: Nugget's stopped laying - Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:52 »
How old is she?

psychobabble

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 13:12 »
She was POL (18 weeks) when I bought her just after Easter. 

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 13:14 »
How long is it since she laid?
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

psychobabble

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 13:17 »
I think about 10 days or so give or take, as i have three it probably took me a few days to really notice I was consistently only getting 2 eggs a day, but I chekced them out at the weekend and it is definitely nugget who has stopped.  She also has stopped doing the crouching thing when I put a hand over her back...I hope you know what I mean by this?? lol

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 14:12 »
Still relatively young, hens do lay in 21 or 28 hour  cycles if i remember rightly so   will miss a few days every now and then, 10 days seems a bit long for that.

Could be the beginning of a moult? Though not sure if she isnt still a bit young for that?With our hens the severity of the moult does seem to vary from hen to hen with one hen shredding what seems like sack loads of feathers and looking really bedraggled whilst with a different hen its hardly noticeable.

I guess a change of food or routine could be a cause. Even down to thunder storms, we had a hen stop laying after she got a fright from a rather big storm we had a few years ago. There are storys about hens dropping dead from fright at  thunder claps though i dont know how true this is

She doesnt seem to be in any form of distress so perhaps just an idea to keep an eye on her.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 14:13 by Kenilworth »

Raven81

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 14:48 »
Are you certain she was laying regularly before? Mine have been laying just under a week so I'm no expert but I couldn't tell you which has laid each egg!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 15:05 »
Is she allowed to free range in the garden? The usual cause of apparent "not laying" is that they are hiding their eggs somewhere else.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23 »
Is she allowed to free range in the garden? The usual cause of apparent "not laying" is that they are hiding their eggs somewhere else.

Very Sneeky ;) :lol:

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 13:35 »
I bought three hens with different colour eggs so I could tell who was laying and when. So I know Bernadette hasn't laid for weeks. To begin with I put it down to the move as they slowly dried up after moving here.

Then she moved from middle pecking order to bottom, and lost a few feathers in the process, so I thought that would have an impact.

Then the fox attacked and took one, and injured another badly. Bernadette got off lightly, but I thought that the shock would knock her back a bit.

Since then, the injured hen has healed beautifully and has been laying for a week, while Bernadette is just not interested. I'm stumped for ideas.
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Stopped Laying

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 01, 2008, 13:29
by Rob the rake
xx
Hen stopped laying

Started by dugless on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 21:00
by joyfull
question
stopped laying

Started by Marianne on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 20:32
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 35 queries.