asparagus crowns still not arrived!

• 7 Replies

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
asparagus crowns still not arrived!
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:18 »
Ordered from asparagus in Kent about a month ago.

Has anyone else used them and had their crowns yet?

Rene

Re: asparagus crowns still not arrived!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18 »
hi
i ordered mine last autumn from suttons and they jus came last saturday, i reckon they should be here soon as they dont send them out too early in case of frost.
i am going to plant mine today, what i am wondering is, do they only grow from the crown point itself? as i am planning to mulch them when they are in but dont want to inhibit growth so wondered if i left the tip of the crown area free.

Rene
Ripon North yorks

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:30 »
I seem to remember when I planted mine that I covered them over slightly, then as they started to grow I covered them a bit more until the trench was filled in

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:36 »
hi
i ordered mine last autumn from suttons and they jus came last saturday, i reckon they should be here soon as they dont send them out too early in case of frost.
i am going to plant mine today, what i am wondering is, do they only grow from the crown point itself? as i am planning to mulch them when they are in but dont want to inhibit growth so wondered if i left the tip of the crown area free.

Rene
Ripon North yorks

Yes they do and yes to mulch; they would grow through the mulch anyway as long as it was only a couple of inches deep but you can make it easier for them if you like.

The crowns will of course spread over the next few years and eventually become at least a couple of feet across; Nice!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:49 »
The crowns will have been dug in early March before any growth started and held in a chiller until dispatch.

When you get them you will see the growth buds in the centre.

Kent Asparagus send planting instructions and they are on the website. From what I remember when I planted mine the buds want to be a few inches below ground level when planted.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03 »
Ordered from asparagus in Kent about a month ago.

Has anyone else used them and had their crowns yet?

Mine arrived Wednesday. Postman had been playing football with it despite being marked fragile. Quality look much better than the crowns I saw in the big stores, but definitely a mixed box of large / small crowns.

Rene

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 16:14 »
hope your crowns have arrived today. just planted mine into a bed a prepared over the last week by heaping the topsoil onto a plastic liner and digging in some rotted compost and a bit of manure i scrounged from where the loads were tipped last autumn and left behind by the other plot holders when the barrowed theirs away. i forgot the instructions so had to work from memory. I piled 10 little mounds marked with sticks to lay the roots over to drape down the sides, some shoots aleady coming out of the crowns so had to take care there, theyve been in a box of damp compost in a cool place since they arrived last Sat and i wasnt ready for them. i cover them over with the top soil and some exra i had to make a raised bed, i have mulched them with leaf mould i got last year and kept in bags to rot down, now someone has told me the leaf mould is acidic. help!!! have i done the wrong thing? if some doe i need to scrape it off or add lime?

Rene

North Yorks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 18:52 »
I think they'll be fine, Rene
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Asparagus crowns arrived today - how do I store them?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 13:51
by Lardman
xx
rhubarb crowns & asparagus crowns planting tips please

Started by SIR,,, PLANTALOT on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 19:38
by Minty
xx
Where to buy asparagus crowns?

Started by Norfolkgrey on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 16:13
by Norfolkgrey
xx
Asparagus crowns

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 08:50
by mr Isaccs

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 36 queries.