Under a pine tree

• 10 Replies

Grubbypaws

Under a pine tree
« on: April 06, 2011, 15:56 »
I have an area about 8 foot by 4 foot that I would like to grow some vegetables in. It is good quality soil and south facing next to a boundary fence but under a mature Scots pine tree.

Is there anything that I can grow that will tolerate the dappled shade and acid pine needles?

All suggestions welcome as long as its something that I can eat!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Under a pine tree
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 22:19 »
To be honest I think you will struggle with most veggies.

The tree will win the competition for nutrients and water without even trying.  I suspect you run the risk of damaging tree roots when digging in or up the veggies - conifers are pretty shallow rooted I think.

You could try lettuce or something else which is shallow rooted such as radishes or parsnips - although I don't know whether they would tolerate the acid conditions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 22:39 »
Perfect for blueberries and spuds don't mind a bit of shade and acid.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 23:18 »
I think that you'll struggle to plant edible vegetables in the ground - pines tend to have shallow root systems and will take out a lot of water, so it's not just the shade and pH that needs to be considered.

I'd go for container growing.

SS

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 23:30 »
I've got blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and various shrubs and perennials planted around the CIRCUMFERENCE of my 40m pine.
DIRECTLY underneath is patio, ants nests and the chicken dust bathing area.....
However I will be growing my cues in pots on a table underneath towards the edge where they will get the summer sun.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:56 »
Thank you Viettaclark. Spuds and blueberries it is. Spuds this year and blueberries next.

Yorkie, I will be very careful digging and if in danger of damaging roots I can always grow the potatoes in containers as suggested by swing swang!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 17:41 »
I suspect you'll find the roots closer to the surface than you'll expect. My neighbour's mature blue spruce sent roots my way and when I was clearing the patch beside the fence, I found massive roots less than 6" under the soil. I had to literally chop the roots off and some trailed the whole length of the house. Eventually the neighbours were fed up with the tree's shedding and cut it down. but nothing would grow in that spot so they had to bring in a load of soil which they spread for grass seed.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 18:46 »
I agree about the shallowness of the roots.  I've dug up 2 conifers and the roots have in the main been in the top 6-9" of soil.

Also, blueberries do not like dry soil - and the rain shadow from the shade / competition for water will cause them difficulties.  By all means give it a try but growing directly underneath a conifer is very very challenging by way of relative conditions.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 18:47 by Yorkie »

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 15:17 »
I've got a blue cedar, and I can get flowers to grow around the edge with only a few branches overhanging them but not even the self-seeding foxgloves and forget-me-not will grow under the middle.  I know a Scots pine will have higher branches so you might get more light underneath but I think you'd have the same problem with the roots.  There is a clump of tall Scots pines around the corner from me, and although I don't know whether anyone's trying to grow anything underneath them, I can definitely say that nothing (including grass) is succeeding.  Sorry.

I'd go for growing things in pots in the least shady bit, personally.  Most veg like a lot of sun but there are a few that are a bit more shade-tolerant.  I've managed chard in part-shade, for instance.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 16:32 »
I think maybe I should invest in some planters and grow container spuds. That wont disturb any roots and I can put them in the least shady bit.

Which is the best type of planter to buy; HH have a few but they are pretty expensive.

Does anyone have a design for some that I can make?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 18:50 »
As long as it's got drainage, and is at least 15-18" deep (and probably at least 12" across), any container will do.  I once grew spuds in an old compost bag, turned inside out and with holes punched in it for drainage.  I rolled the sides down quite a bit to start with, then rolled them back up gradually to 'earth' them up.

xx
pine tree chippings as mulch

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 13:27
by Swing Swang
xx
Pine needles

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 09:15
by WG.
xx
Pine for strawberries.

Started by Andrede on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 16:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Pine Needles

Started by mucky pup on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 17:35
by mucky pup

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 28 queries.