what is this ?

• 13 Replies

tooo many seeds

what is this ?
« on: April 08, 2011, 19:18 »
i have got my allotment this year and amongst my raspberry cane is lots of this stuff coming up,i guess its not raspberry shoots but its not a common weed i dont think.its like a thick fern,any ideas

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: what is this ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 19:24 »
Is it marestail?  Difficult to tell accurately from the scale of your photo.

If so, not good news  >:(

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/Profile.aspx?pid=257
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 19:26 »
Is it marestail?  Difficult to tell accurately from the scale of your photo.

If so, not good news  >:(

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/Profile.aspx?pid=257

King of look slike it to me too. Not great.

tooo many seeds

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 19:31 »
ok sounds bad had a look at the link.i might need a grenade i think  ;) damn you previous allotment owner :tongue2:

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 19:45 »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh >:( >:( >:(

Thats what I have got in my front garden it's a nightmare it just appeared about 2 years ago. Have wondered what it was for ages. It sprouts up with a bulbous head and as you pick it out it gives off seed spawns. I've been in the front this morning pulling loads out whilst dodging the local cats poo  >:( >:( >:( >:( and it's a loosing battle as I have a number of other plants so can't use weed killer.

It is an absolute pain I am just hoping it never gets into the back garden where the veg are going.

Bill  

Edit: I found a page that states the only sure fire way of eradicating this is with a weed killer called ( Kibosh ) It's supposed to be majorly expensive but is a concentrate which can be diluted down.

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-Killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kibosh-0-5LT/prod_2.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 19:54 by billathome65 »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 20:01 »
Kibosh is not available to the amateur market, bill

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 20:10 »

The link I put up seems to allow you to purchase online??

Bill

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 20:19 »
its horsetail. blooming nightmare to get rid of. all you need is round up weed killer, just bruise it a bit and spray the weed killer. ensure no little bit falls onto the ground otherwise it will grow. roots go very deep and if pulled they break so best option is weedkiller it all top to bottom. ensure when winter approaches to just blast every bruised shoot with weed killer so when they take their juices down to preserve during winter they take the weed killer as well in the hope it kills the deep root system.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 20:25 »

The link I put up seems to allow you to purchase online??

Bill

Even the professionals have to buy it somewhere.

Proof that it is licensed for professionals only - illegal to use it if you are not licensed.
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/pestreg/getfullproduct.asp?productid=21513&pageno=1&origin=prodsearch

Its licence has also been revoked so, from 30 September this year it will be illegal for the product approval holder to advertise, sell or supply it.  From 31 March 2012 it will be illegal for anyone else to do the same.  And it will be illegal to store or use it from 31 March 2013.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 20:29 by Yorkie »

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 20:31 »
The only way to check it out is to see if they will accept an online order but to be honest I will try the Roundup and see if that sorts it.

Bill

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 20:54 »
I have been told by fellow allotmenteers, keep digging it out as much as you can. Constant attack weakens it. Apparantly tho', it has been found down mine shafts  :ohmy:

sarajane

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:20 »
sorry to another to dampen your thoughts but apparently it is one of the oldest plants and dates back to dinossaur era.  just keep chipping away.  Lots of the plots on our site have it  -  no where near mine at the moment :happy: and the plotters just learn to live with it

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 18:58 »
The only way to check it out is to see if they will accept an online order but to be honest I will try the Roundup and see if that sorts it.

Bill

Good, the kibosh is licensed only for professional use for a good reason, which includes the fact professionals have had to undergo proper training to store and use such sprays, including correct safety equipment.  Apart from the fact that it's illegal for you to get it and use it, you'd be jeopardising your own safety and that of anyone else who might be nearby etc.  Don't risk it.

prakash_mib

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 19:19 »
it is marestail.
I would not bother with the weed killers. They cant kill them.
two years ago I did roundup for mares and bindweed. killed all of bindweed but marestail does appear everyday (read my footer  :)).
just start pulling it out... again and again and again.... and again  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Page created in 0.978 seconds with 37 queries.