Bed time

• 18 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Bed time
« on: August 02, 2012, 21:39 »
I have a wooden coop with two nest boxes (one on each side of the coop) and there are two perches in the main area. They never use the perches and cuddle up in the two nest boxes in various groupings - two mamas, one 14 week chick and four 10 week chicks. That is fine with me, I just clear boxes every morning. However, since the 10 week sabelpoots have been told to be independent by silkie mama Mo there has been some pecking order hustles but nothing too serious and plenty of space during day and in coop, once all in, for it not to be a  problem EXCEPT that the 4 littl'uns find it daunting to go in at night and have taken to launching from top of coop to roost on 6 foot fence. So we stapled on another foot of wire to the wooden fence to raise the height.Tonight they were all roosting on the fence behind the new wire and once again I had to climb onto stool and get them one by one back into coop where they have settled ok once securely in a sapce of their own. I am so worried they'll disappear into next garden which is quite a way round by road to get and a dog there. It is not a problem in the day, they don't seem to make any attempt to escape then.  The next step is to try and move the coop into a more central position so they can't launch from there but any ideas as to how I can get them to go to bed like good little sabelpoots? Should I get them their own house? or persevere?
Jo

grinling

Re: Bed time
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 21:53 »
Is it possible to roof them in with chicken wire.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 21:57 »
No I can't roof them as the coop is in a full width section of garden much too big to cover.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:09 »
I had a similar problem with 2 pullets last year. Persevere and it should all settle down. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:53 »
Thanks Sassy. I will move the coop furthur from fence today and hope it does settle down before we go away and leave neighbours to cope  :dry:

kegs

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13 »
Hang a torch in the coop and see if that tempts them in.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 00:23 »
Moved coop today. All found way in ok except for the 4 little sabelpoots who settled on a branch in a bush until I put them to bed. At least they did not manage the top of the fence without the coop as launch pad. Tomorrow will make sure I am around at settling down time in order to usher them in right direction.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 06:24 »
I know how you feel when I got my pullets one would always head for the 6ft hedge so ladder out and when I got her she would scream! so like you I removed any launch pad, every night when they started to get ready to go into the coop I would go out and keep getting in her way and she would head for the coop, she settled down after a couple of weeks and when she started to lay she stopped flying around completely, I hope all works out fine with your girls.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:20 »
Glad to know you got it sorted Sneezer. I've got two weeks before neighbour takes over. Intensive training begins tonight  :)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:52 »
Are your perches higher than your nest boxes?

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 20:30 »
No they aren't Silly design and difficult to fit them higher. Once in they perch on the edge of nest box although the silkies prefer to sleep in nests. I am saving for a better plastic coop than the rubbish cheapo wooden one I have now. Off out to shepherd them in a bit!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 08:08 »
Still struggling with this. Every evening the two grown hens and older  chick trot off to bed as they should. The 4 sabelpoots hop onto a branch on a bush and sit in a line. I then carry them in pairs to the coop and hustle them up the ramp. Once in they fuss and chirrup and then settle. The older ones do not react apart from a bit of rosey. Sounds like a load of moaning and grumbling but no pecking or violence. I can't see a way of raising the perches higher than nest boxes though. It really is a poor coop, looks lovely but was a nightmare putting together and making fit and will not last so will replace when I can. Meanwhile I am ok with putting them to bed. Hope my neighbour will when we are away. Once I asked someone who was ok as long as she didn't have to touch feathers!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:56 »
Have you tried a torch as kegs suggested?

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42 »
I'll try a torch this evening although it is still quite light when they go up to roost.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 07:23 »
Ah bless'em. Last night they went to bed like good little sabelpoots (just after I'd spoken to neighbour and asked if she would mind having to put them to bed by hand each evening when we are away! Did they hear me!  :)  )

xx
What time do they lay?

Started by Dominic on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 22:09
by OpiumEater
xx
time of day to lay?

Started by mandarincloth on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 20:26
by Junie
xx
What Time?

Started by chicken soup on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 20:32
by chicken soup
xx
Bed time

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 21:52
by treacleminer

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 32 queries.