Vaccines or treatments?

• 10 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Vaccines or treatments?
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:39 »
Hello there! I have recently got 4 hens again - how lovely it is too. They are still young grower aged between 9 and 12 wks, and growing well! After reading some postings and looking at some websites, I am now worrying whether I should be vaccinating/treating them against any nasty bugs. If so where would I get the stuff they need? They are 3 bantams and a Legbar who live on grower pellets and whatever they find in our garden! My hens in the past were never vaccinated and I know it a bit like pregnancy, there seems to be lots of new advice and products. Any advice would be welcome as to the most important vaccines needed.

poultrygeist

Re: Vaccines or treatments?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51 »
Hi chuckmum. Welcome. :)

Well done for taking the plunge (again)  :D

Any vaccinations would need to be done when they were small but they come in batches of about 1,000 so impractical for home keepers or small breeders.
If you're feeding them medicated feed, they'll get anti-coccidiostats from that but otherwsie, they should be fine if you follow good husbandry.

When they're a bit bigger you can worm them, unless they show signs in the meantime.

Enjoy them.

Rob 8)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:56 »
Thanks, that's how I cared for my girls before and I had happy hens and tasty eggs.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:59 »
have a tonic to give them an extra boost in times of stress, several available, life guard or poultry spice are 2 favourites, life guard in the water, poultry spice on their food.
keep an eye on them to look for signs they are going off their fod and keep the coop clean, enjoy the eggs and antics.

martyn

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:01 »
Lovely  :D

If you can put your location in your profile, we can tailor advice for your location. And we can come and pinch borrow your eggs  :wub: :D

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:29 »
well I dont vaccinate, but there again I only breed from my own stock when the hens are at least 18mths old to 2 years so are healthy, proven stock with strong immune systems. I run very careful husbandry and do not bring in birds, subsequently I very rarely lose a bird to illness, annually less than 5%. Saying that although vaccinations come in large batches, they are not expensive, however, I have seen evidence that vaccinated hens does not necessarily mean they will not contract the same diseases, only may not to the extent which causes mortality, just the morbidity can be high. :)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:39 »
I've added where I am.
I also am of the view 'if it isn't broke don't fix it', namely if the the hens are healthy and happy (which mine are) don't pump them full of chemicals that they probably don't need. However, as it has been a few years since I had hens and as I have all this wonderful wealth of information (you all) available at my finger tips now, I'd be foolish not to check out anything that could enhance my hens health, so thank you all!

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:47 »
i can certainly echo foxy comments, mine were apparently vaccinated and i have lost 3 to something they should not have caught.
once they have had their medi, they will just be on life guard occasionally as a bit of a boost.

martyn

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:49 »
Sorry poultrygeist, I think eggs will be a way off, probably next year, as I don't think they will be POL until Nov and I guess they won't bother then. Although my Legbar might lay sooner she's 11 wks now and growing very well?
I feel another post coming on.... 'When will they lay!'
They are Wyandotte whose 12 wks, Araucana and a Pekin both 9wks

iwantanallotment

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 09:55 »
They look lovely in your "bottoms up" pic, chuckmum  :)

Rob, I'm a lot closer than you when the time comes to pinch borrow the eggs  :tongue2:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 23:36 »
I dont vaccinate any of mine! only because it would be too expensive and as others have said it doesnt always work  :( I just make sure i keep them clean (which i know yours will be)and the growers have their own covered run, well away from my adult laying flock after they come out of the big brooder, its covered to stop wild birds from pooping in the run and passing on deseases to them that they will build immunity to as they mature! If the youngsters are free ranging the risks arent quite so concentrated in 1 area such as a run, so doesnt seem to pose many problems!
I use poultry spice (smells yummy) and lifeguard tonic which have extra vitimins and minerals, i also use orego-stim which is great for healthy little tummys.
The coccidiostats in the food replicate mild coccidiosis so the chicks can gradually build up their own immune system! sometimes (usually through wet bedding/food and wild birds) the coccidiosis in the enviroment becomes to much for them and they develop the desease. I always keep a bottle of coxoid in my 1st aid tin just incase of any signs developing!
Dont let all this stop your enjoyment of them, they are healthy and happy! and we are all here if anything is concerning you!  :D

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Opinions on vaccines??

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 09:11
by Sassy
xx
Beginner: chicks and vaccines

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 21:10
by Old Whiskers
xx
treatments for new chicks

Started by chicken little CD on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 17:48
by joyfull
xx
Weed and feed lawn treatments

Started by sylviaM on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 22:41
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 28 queries.