Domestic fowl trust - worth a visit?

• 7 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
Domestic fowl trust - worth a visit?
« on: August 21, 2009, 19:29 »
Hello

I was wondering if anyone has visited the domestic fowl trust, my lad has looked at the website and wants to go.
It would be a fair drive, but I dont mind if its worth a look.  :)
I would like to have a look at a few different breeds to decide what I would like next!
Think I'm addicted :nowink:   
Thanks Jo

Bruced

• Experienced Member
Re: Domestic fowl trust - worth a visit?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 20:33 »
I have been a couple of times (it's about 25 miles from me). I found it interesting for a look round - they do have a LOT of different birds there - it's like one big chicken zoo (plus some ducks, geese, turkeys and a pig or two). I didn't find the shop staff massively helpful however. There's a small playground for kids. If you want to buy, call in advance to see what they have. Worth a look but for that drive I'd combine it with a visit to something else in the area - Stratford is close by and has a lot to do / see.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 20:37 »
well I went there a few years back and was not impressed, there were ill birds everywhere and I spotted one dead crow and one dying crow from infectious coryza, i found it very depressing. :( I mentioned this to the management and they didn't seem to care. I sincerely hope things have changed.

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:26 »
OH and I went to a poultry keeping course there and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Have since attended a much better one in Swindon at the Chicken School.

We had a look round and, while it was interesting to see so many breeds, were disappointed in the housing and general condition of the birds and the enclosures. This was in May 2008.

Big Jen

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 16:30 »
well I went there a few years back and was not impressed, there were ill birds everywhere and I spotted one dead crow and one dying crow from infectious coryza, i found it very depressing. :( I mentioned this to the management and they didn't seem to care. I sincerely hope things have changed.

It hasnt changed. Went a few weeks ago for some emergency coxoid. Conditions the sale birds are kept in is not good. Staff very unhelpful.
Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:08 »
Yes there are a lot of different breeds to see which is interesting but I agree with the other replies regarding the state of the runs and general condition of the place which I suspect is an inevitable result of keeping so many birds in an intensive state,  A bit disappointing.

Regards
Truth through science.

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 11:30 »
Well its very close to where I live and we use it as a useful shop.
I quite like it.
A Chicken Zoo - hey!
Their pens are sad looking though and a bit dirty (we haven't been round the actual zoo bit for a couple of years - we just use the shop.)
They have lots of nice chicken related gifts and the housing supplies are good too.

Some of the staff are nice but some are downright surly and unhelpful. Basically the lowest level workers who tend the chooks are nice.
However I have learnt that its is no point in asking questions of either the shop staff or the "management".
We got our chooks from them and they were healthy and have been fine. But I later found that their "ordinary" hybrid layers are not always bred there though and come from a standard chicken supplier who also supplies the local farms. Given that they were charging top whack for the chooks I thought that was bad. So any further chooks will come from the farm supplier direct at half price ta very much.

A mixed bag of comments really - but I do like their chicken related gift shop and they do a nice cuppa!

Kathy H

jo40

• Experienced Member
Re: Domestic fowl trust - worth a visit? WE WENT
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 21:54 »
Oh dear
Even my lad wasn't impressed with the farm park, very unkempt. The housing was appalling, filthy and falling apart.  :mad:
It's such a shame as they have such a well stocked shop and nice housing for sale, surely they would be a better advert for their business if they used some of this on their own birds. :nowink:
I've taken a couple of pic's, just to demonstrate how well they care for their 'rare breeds', oh, and as my ten yr old pointed old, 3ft broken chicken wire doesn't do anything towards keeping Mr fox out.
Jo

xx
The Domestic Fowl Trust

Started by retribution on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 16:20
by Chrysalis
xx
Domestic pet's

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 14:44
by PJM
xx
Some Domestic Duck Questions.

Started by Mona on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 14:11
by belladonna
xx
Chook Dome - domestic size

Started by Dopey113 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 11:21
by Anndee

Page created in 0.592 seconds with 36 queries.