Cats

• 10 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
Cats
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:43 »
  We don't get many cats in our garden - probably on account of having two dogs but yesterday we had a cat we had never seen before sitting watching our 4 chickens.. The chickens started to walk 'en masse' towards it ...woul.d have been intersting to see what happened but then the dogs appeared and it ran off ....are cats a threat to chickens ? :ohmy:
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

death of rats

• Experienced Member
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:57 »
My two cats are afraid of my bantams and the large fowl cause a rapid evacuation of the area.
One of my cats will take full grown rabbits and pigeons but the chickens corner him and he runs off.
However he will watch the chickens for ages from a place of safety.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

bee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:01 »
My cat was at first terrified of the chickens, but over time he has grown braver, sniffed their bottoms and tried to get them to play. They have ignored him throughout. However, on the whole he remains wary and only explores their run when they're out; he disappears pronto if they reappear. He will take on full-grown rabbits and also stalks pigeons, but I think chickens are just too big.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:08 »
Most pet cats will stay away from full grown hens even if they are fascinated by them. A hungry feral cat may be a danger especially to the smaller breeds.
Our neighbourhood moggies do not come into the garden anymore they just watch through the fence. :)

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:37 »
Thanks  ,that's bit of a relief ...did think the chickens maybe just a little too big for a cat to run off with and have always known foxes were a problem but had not  heard anything about cats :happy:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:52 »
Cats don't like it when their prey turns round and faces them ... our cats will stalk a hen to within inches, but she only has to turn a beady eye on them and they slink off  :lol:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:07 »
Chooks will see cats off most times particularly if the chooks outnumber the cats. To be honest the cats are more frightened of the chooks then the chooks are of the cats. The only time I would worry is if it was one on one then you can even that up with a good pump action water pistol.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 20:28 »
i think you will find a cat is no match for a flock of chickens......you would have to watch if you had little ones, or banties, but otherwise, they should be fine ;)

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 20:29 »
My 5 month old tabby cat likes nothing more than to get into teh chicken run and curl up in the nest boxes.  More than once I'm sfraid she's been shut up in the run accidently.  She's also discovered that the bone ry patch of earth in the old green house that the hens use makes a very good litter tray .... tut tut.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38 »
We inherited our cats when we bought our barn and land. So the cats are semi-feral and have never lived in a house. They don't bother with the hens at all. I would no be so sure if wee had chicks though. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

raeburg

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 14:15 »
My cats were very interested in chicks but as soon as they were "pointy" they backed off.  Due to capturing a ferret in the hen house, the chooks have been in the utility room today and the cats were not bothered at all by this!  They have been chased off by a tiny broody silkie so mind their manners with chooks.

xx
Cats

Started by uba on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 14:54
by Ribbit
xx
Cats....

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 14:22
by mumofstig
xx
cats!

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 17:49
by evie2
xx
Neighbours cats?! Help!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 10:11
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 34 queries.