What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1815 on: July 22, 2012, 19:05 »
Weeding, weeding and more weeding!!!!
Planted out my "musselburgh" leeks. 2 Rows of 12.
Sowed more salad leaves, radish and spring onions.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1816 on: July 22, 2012, 19:09 »
Pruned the cherry trees, tied up the new growth of the thornless blackberries and logan berries onto their wires, mixed up the three black bags of grass clippings from work with a bag of chopped paper (also from work) for the compost. Added cut up broad bean stalks, leaves and pods too

Caught another vole - adult size this time - but it escaped somehow as I move the trap  >:(

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #1817 on: July 22, 2012, 21:08 »
Yesterday I planted the musselburgh leeks out after weeding the bed first.
Today I decided to have a go at getting the squashes planted as they aren't going to do very well in the pots. So i decided to give them a good start & set to constructing my first lasagne bed 12ft x 5ft.At least 10 barrow loads of manure,then cardboard & newspaper laid on top & watered well,then at least 8 barrow loads of black gold from the compost bins followed by my weed suppressant membrane & then the plants planted in to crosses cut in the membrane & a bottle pushed in next to each plant to water them at the roots. By this time I was a bit weary so trudged home to get a sandwich, it was 3.30 then mow the lawn. 
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yana

« Reply #1818 on: July 22, 2012, 22:51 »
Thinned Beetroot..... When I say thinned, I mean that I took home a bag full of Beetroot that was golf ball size for roasting.
Weeded onions and shallots. Checked to see if either ready to pull yet. Think I might leave them a week or so then loosen them before pulling and drying.
Put in second planting of dwarf French beans (Safari), about 20 plants.
Nipped tops on runner beans as they has reached the top of the canes.
General tidy up before tackling potatoes tomorrow.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

jmc1949

« Reply #1819 on: July 23, 2012, 13:17 »
The new plot had a 35 x 6 ft strip which was 4 foot high in docks and thistles, (the rest of it had been mowed before I took over) so spent a good hour cutting them down and then strimmed half of the area. Transported all the wood I was given to make raised beds onto the plot. It's starting to look neater already.

Didn't get time to do anything on No.1 plot except pick some broad beans.

Wellpotty1

« Reply #1820 on: July 23, 2012, 13:37 »
potatoes planted first week -8th June- have black spots on leaves next bed from previous owner with some potato plants in also have black spots & wilted leaves. Is this the start of blight then? Raining again, went home.

Went back to plot Sat am, it was blight. Chopped off all foliage from newly planted spuds & dug up all previous. Bagged it all up and binned it at home. Got about 5kg of spuds mostly wee ones -pea to small tomato size, but better than nothing. Oh & found a massive red ant nest in some old horse manure, retreated before they bit me.
Kiwifruit

ratherangelic

« Reply #1821 on: July 23, 2012, 21:43 »
Loads of weeding...watered the greenhouse and strimmed some of the grass as now it's nice weather trying to get on top of everything.

Also harvested 5 mini cucumbers (one which is a siamese one) and a courgette de nice (a round courgette....now just need to work out what to do with it)

Yana

« Reply #1822 on: July 23, 2012, 23:10 »
Got side tracked putting leaks in so didn't get very far digging up the potatoes. Never mind, managed to weed sweetcorn, French beans, sow 4 rows of swede (hope I'm not too late), and have a jolly good chat win fellow allotmenters who I haven't seen for ages.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1823 on: July 23, 2012, 23:23 »

Put up some corrugated sheeting and  guttering for collecting water in another bath I got.

Made a wire support for the blackberries growing on the side wall.

Did a bit of hoeing to get rid of a load of weeds that had taken advantage of all the rain we've

had lately

Cheers Carl

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1824 on: July 24, 2012, 11:34 »
Early morning visit to the plot today before it got too hot.  Didn't think I would be saying that this summer the way it has gone so far  :lol:

As I have the luxury of lots of space where earlier crops bit the dust, sowed a few seeds for late crops of beetroot and turnips, plus fennel and mustard greens.  Don't usually sow direct as my plot is on clay.  Nothing to lose and soil about perfect as it gets - has lots of moisture after all the rain but warm and crumbly on top  :D  All netted to foil the muntjac and laced with organic slug pellets to wage war against the slimers  ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1825 on: July 24, 2012, 11:41 »
Had a lovely few hours on the allotment by myself having taken the children to nursery.  There weren't many around the site - I suspect the beach was more tempting for the sun lovers!

It was a glorious day.

I strengthened the Munty frame I had put together and untangled some runner beans and re-routed them along the frame (the wind had pushed the growth the opposite direction!)  I trimmed the grass edges - having sharpened the shears.

I stopped for a nice little bit of allotment cuisine - a pack of instant noodles boiled up with harvested spring onions, mange tout, spinach and chilli.  It was lovely sitting in the sun munching my lunch!

I then harvested my first runner beans, courgettes and some more french beans.  I finally removed the netting over the fruit crops and started tidying this up. 

Am hoping to get up there this afternoon.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Goosegirl

« Reply #1826 on: July 24, 2012, 12:06 »
Weeded my raspberry bed - cropping like crazy even though I wasn't able to cut out the old canes last year, and dug up my shallots - the Mikor are great but the Vigamor are very few and not looking as big. Then - guess what - it started raining. :blink:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jmc1949

« Reply #1827 on: July 24, 2012, 12:41 »
On No.1 plot dug over the area where the peas had drowned. Then weeded a couple of raised beds.
On No.2 plot continued strimming and gathering up the overgrown 4 foot high docks and thistles.

HHH

« Reply #1828 on: July 24, 2012, 13:54 »
Another lovely, early start, getting some hard work in before it became too hot. We had loosened the onions from their beds a couple of days ago, and to day we carefully lifted them all and took them home to start the drying process on the patio at home - 3 days of hot sun before the next deluge! 41 Stuttgarter Giants, 33 Red Barons, 28 Hi Tek. Its our first time growing onions and we're very excited and pleased that, despite the appalling weather, we have only lost a couple through rot. Fingers crossed they can ripen and dry thoroughly now in our conservatory over the next few weeks.

Preparing new beds and replanting or reseeding, wherever possible. Today I sowed spring onions in one drill, and cheated with Lidl's finest living lettuce, planted root by separate root in another drill, filling in the space left by the broad beans. Then I dug over what had been one of two rows of peas and gave it a helping of Growmore. Tomorrow, or the next day, the earth will be drier and ready to fork and rake to a tilth, and I may replant with some Autumn King carrots.

Not sure what to put in the former onion beds: does anybody have any suggestions for a late crop?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1829 on: July 24, 2012, 14:00 »
Lifted the garlic, good sized bulbs and shallots, a disappointingly small crop.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 32 queries.