What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1770 on: July 14, 2012, 19:02 »
Went for a swim :( :( :( :ohmy:

Trimmed the edges and weeded. Way to wet and muddy to do anything else.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

brewerboy

« Reply #1771 on: July 14, 2012, 20:07 »
Yesterday picked two carrier bags of peas hursts greenshaft and onward and half carrier bag of broad beans the sutton. Spent today shelling and freezing and potting on wall flowers and other bedding plants. Dispair at the weather and lack of access to the allotment but reading other posts realise I have been lucky. Maybe next year........

AnneB

« Reply #1772 on: July 14, 2012, 23:05 »
Harvested the Albigensian Wight and Early Purple Wight garlic and all the Longor shallots.  Quite a good crop, but not sure how I am going to dry them properly with no sun or warmth.

Planted out two thirds of the leeks.  The rest will have to wait for the second earlies to hurry up.

Picked some strawberries.  Scattered some slug pellets round.

Everything apart from CofE peas looking pathetic.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #1773 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42 »
It's the Mid Summer Meeting today, so I suppose there will be a lot of talking and not much gardening done this morning!

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1774 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57 »
been up allotments nice and early only to find my greenhouse open and someone had helped themselves to some cucumbers and onions that were drying on a bench at least they cut the cucumbers off and not just pulled them  >:( >:(
then went over to my shed and store not touched shed but been in the store and taken my sprayer and tray of sprays dont look like kids this time ,not very happy at all as who ever done it had only to ask and i would of helped anyway  >:( >:( >:(
keep allotments alive grow your own

HHH

« Reply #1775 on: July 15, 2012, 13:55 »
Arrived at the allotment to be told that the blight had arrived (Mid Sussex - RH16). Instead of the scheduled round of weeding and some picking, the next couple of hours was spent in shearing down to the ground the second-earlies and main crop spuds. Most of them showed early signs of blight and the one variety (Navan) that seemed relatively unmarked was far too close to the other, diseased crops to risk - sadly it was p[lanted a little later and was still in flower and showed every sign of being a strong crop. We'll just have to wait and see how the other mains have developed, but yields from 1st and 2nd earlies have been disappointingly light and fruits have been on the small side.

Otherwise - weeding, pulling up soggy lettuces, preparing a bed for swedes  to replace the finished broad beans. A bit late for planting them, I know, but everything else is late this year and one has to keep trying!

Goosegirl

« Reply #1776 on: July 15, 2012, 15:02 »
been up allotments nice and early only to find my greenhouse open and someone had helped themselves to some cucumbers and onions that were drying on a bench at least they cut the cucumbers off and not just pulled them  >:( >:(
then went over to my shed and store not touched shed but been in the store and taken my sprayer and tray of sprays dont look like kids this time ,not very happy at all as who ever done it had only to ask and i would of helped anyway  >:( >:( >:(
WHAAAAAT? After all us gardeners having a dreadful time, someone pinches your stuff as well? Many curses on them!  :mad: :mad: :mad:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

martingibson

« Reply #1777 on: July 15, 2012, 17:30 »
Picked a few ...and sadly it was only a few early and charlotte potatoes ...rather disappointing crop. The main crop potatoes are looking sad ...suspect blight ...will be back tomorrow to lift what I can and sort the rest.
Collected the garlic ...and a few shallots.
Managed a bit of weeding before depression about lack of growth took over ... hoping for better weather and better mood next week.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1778 on: July 15, 2012, 18:10 »
 :D yay the sun was shining so we managed to get a good few hours at the allotment with no rain. Dug up some potatoes, picked peas, carrots, rhubarb, spinach, gooseberries, lettuces and red currants. Managed to get lots of weeding done and also found the biggest red ant nest which covered half a bed.  Apples look like they are doing really well, this will be the first year we have got more than 1 apple from them!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Yana

« Reply #1779 on: July 15, 2012, 18:37 »
Sorry to hear you've had 'visitors' allotment- bill. And the very worst kind as well.
Like you say, if they had asked up would have given them a cucumber as we all do to fellow allotment buddies. Then to take stuff from your shed is a double whammy.
Hope you catch them.  :ohmy:  :mad:    :wub:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1780 on: July 15, 2012, 19:17 »
Sorry to read your news Bill  :(

I planted out cabbage and kale, weeded out a whole barrow full of scarlet pimpernel and other weeds (at least something is happy  ::) ) and lifted my Anya potatoes.  Only had 3 plants and got a great haul.  They have done much better than all the other spuds so will be planting more next year  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1781 on: July 15, 2012, 20:21 »
It is a shock when someone helps themselves like that Bill - any ideas?

Spent the morning clearing up and weeding, dead heading roses. Cleaned up the shoots off the trunk of the plum tree and ended up pruning it as it was far too big.

Harvested broad beans, peas, cabbage, raspberries, logan berries, salad onions and lettuce and more first earlies. Sprayed the tomatoes and potatoes against blight after losing almost our whole crop of both last year. Fed the tomatoes too.

Cut sweetpeas, marigolds, lavender and roses too  :D

Cut back the nettles from behind the minitunnel and added to compost heap
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #1782 on: July 15, 2012, 21:16 »
So sorry to hear you've had a thief on your plot Bill, I think I've had one on mine as all my Gooseberries have gone missing & my plot neighbours redcurrants have gone too. We have our suspicions.

I managed to get all the garlic & winter onions out,garlic has done well but alot of the onions had bolted so they've got a hard stalk but many are rotting with the wet. Then I harvested the globe artichokes as some of the globes were rotting as well. Then I dug up some rocket spuds a very meagre crop. Did lots of weeding. Mr S & our son came & put up some guttering around no 2 shed.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1783 on: July 15, 2012, 21:21 »
Allotment,Picked last of broadbeans cleared stalks and forked over the patch soil too wet to do much else. Backyard garden weeded strawberry bed and flower bed dug potatoes from very wet soil. Dug investigatory hole and found water at a spit and half down in normal years my garden is dry with water level at about five feet down in July.
Retired but never short of a job.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1784 on: July 16, 2012, 01:30 »
So sorry to hear you've had a thief on your plot Bill, I think I've had one on mine as all my Gooseberries have gone missing & my plot neighbours redcurrants have gone too. We have our suspicions.

I managed to get all the garlic & winter onions out,garlic has done well but alot of the onions had bolted so they've got a hard stalk but many are rotting with the wet. Then I harvested the globe artichokes as some of the globes were rotting as well. Then I dug up some rocket spuds a very meagre crop. Did lots of weeding. Mr S & our son came & put up some guttering around no 2 shed.

I'd want to try coating a few delicious succulent fruit with mustard powder and letting the thief enjoy that.  >:(
(Can't spell "sennacot"!")
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 32 queries.