What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Yana

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1515 on: June 12, 2012, 18:18 »
Haven't been able to do anything for the last two days! Too much persistent and heavy rain. Did pop over to the plots last night to check everything was still in one piece. Phew ...... All safe and sound.
Hanging basket toms are a write off. Where the wind was so strong, it has battered them against the house wall and the stems have all snapped. If I leave them, will they re-grow from the broken stem?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #1516 on: June 12, 2012, 19:58 »
Popped down with my little ones today - one slept and the other sort of helped with the weeding!  He did prefer to sit in his chair and tell Mummy what she should be doing tho - lol!

Pulled up a couple of spring onions for tea - first official harvest!!!!

Also planted some brussel sprout plants than another plotholder donated as they'd sown too many - love this community business and have quite a few bonus crops because of this! :D

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1517 on: June 12, 2012, 20:38 »
Got a couple of hours in at the plot today. Took some cardboard up and soaked this and added to the next lasagne bed.  I then measured up some weed suppressant for two more paths and laid this. 

I topped the new bed with grass clippings and a bit of HM compost to weigh down the cardboard and will need to find some more material later.

I installed wind protection (a bit late) and moved the tarpaulin further up the plot.  Nice to see half is now installed with weed suppressant paths and lasagne beds, with two beds planted up.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1518 on: June 12, 2012, 23:23 »
Spent a couple of hours at the plot today. Did a little weeding netted over we're I had planted seeds under fleece plants pushing the fleece up so I removed and replaced with netting.
Mind you nieghbour will be asking why because most of it is covering an area that has no plants in yet.
Cut the grass paths , now having second thoughts about grass paths it may look good but it takes time to keep it cut plus I am getting weeds growing amongst the grass .
Planted begonias I had kept from last years boarder at home . Will need to lable them when they flower as one is a very dark orange and red I can't remember the name but they were something similar to fire red I think . A brilliant colour.
 Cut the comphry plant down to size as it was wind damaged and flowering .just added to the compost heap.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1519 on: June 13, 2012, 07:35 »
Emptied out the two large bags of chipped bark onto worn areas of the paths, in readiness for today's emptying of the shed and grand moving.

Weather permitting this evening, so fingers crossed  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Casey76

« Reply #1520 on: June 13, 2012, 13:38 »
This is cheating a bit as I don't actually have a "plot"... however this morning I thinned my radishes, rubbed out some side shoots on various tomato plants, and had a small "wayhey" as I realised that my 2 years out of date carrot seed has started to germinate :)

allotmentann

« Reply #1521 on: June 13, 2012, 16:23 »
I made a rustic cage from twigs and net to try to salvage the remains of my sweetcorn. Was going to net the gooseberries, but they all got eaten last night, so no need! Sowed more climbing beans that a neighbour gave me to replace the ones that are no more (thank you slugs). Went round everywhere with the blue pellets of death. Mulched again around the butternut squash with home made compost in the hope that they may recover a bit. Planted out some leeks (which actually acheived pencil thickness - still trying to believe this myself!), fixed fence at front border and planted up the bed in front of it that borders the road, so it looks nice now. Planted out lovage, chives, parsley and some beautiful fern leaved lavender. Cleared a bit more of the grassed area at the back. Picked three strawberries.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1522 on: June 13, 2012, 16:58 »
This is cheating a bit as I don't actually have a "plot"... however this morning I thinned my radishes, rubbed out some side shoots on various tomato plants, and had a small "wayhey" as I realised that my 2 years out of date carrot seed has started to germinate :)

Casey - If you grow one onion you can call yourself a gardener so no problems adding your thing if you dont have an actual plot...

I picked my first punnett of strawberries from my new plot today. Woo Hoo...  :D  :D
I removed half the flowers from the plants as they are new from runners I got in september and grew them up in pots till my plot was dug and ready for them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 21:56 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1523 on: June 13, 2012, 20:19 »
Took the opportunity for some evening gardening while the sun still shone (despite the thunderous looking clouds heading across from Dartmoor!).
Weeded the top of my plot and the brassica bed.
Planted out 4 of 5 squashes in various places as I forgot to save a bed for them! ::) whoops! :dry:
Picked some strawberries.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1524 on: June 13, 2012, 21:01 »
Got to the stables and picked up 6 bags of manure which I added to the current lasagne bed I am building. 

Weeded, deadheaded and tidied the cut flower bed.

Cut back the rust ridden garlic leaves and chard which had gone to seed.

Sprayed the runner beans with some seaweed feed as they were looking a little bit yellow.  Nice to see the lilac flowers on the shiraz mange tout. 

Potted up more toms for the plant sale and harvested some globe artichokes.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1525 on: June 13, 2012, 23:28 »
Planted out some kale plants, eight plants was enough for one of the rows in my smaller veg bed. Also dug a small section which I didn't get round to digging in March. (yes I know I shouldn't when it's still a bit damp but if I don't do it now it'll probably be days of dry weather and it'll be like concrete!)

Picked some rhubarb for us and sage for bunnies. Noted with appreciation that the bees are busy drinking from the flowers on the sage, and also the flowers on next doors chives. Also noted that all the plums have dropped off my plum tree. I think it has leaf curl, no idea what to do about it. TBH I'm not that worried if I loose that tree. Previous owner jammed three trees and several red currant bushes far too close together. A couple of the redcurrants have come out but I couldn't bear to move the trees, far too much work I'm afraid.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1526 on: June 14, 2012, 02:23 »
Had a mud bath in the greenhouse today as this was where the recent flooding hit us... lowest part of the garden it seems.

The saturated soil was useful as I was able to pull up several large and long brambles that trailed off around he greenhouse way down in the soil. Delighted to have those gone although the whole greenhouse is very sticky.

One fine day I might actually get something planted in there!!

(Edit to remove distracting / annoying animated graphic)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 14:42 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1527 on: June 14, 2012, 07:24 »
Lacewing would like that picture Paul -- she was after information about rice  :lol:

Our shed is moved, and lots of rubbish from it gone to the tip as well. Gives us loads more space  :D :D

Mixed the bags of grass clippings with shredded paper. Came to about 90 l in total, but will obviously reduce, probably to arond 15l in the end

Compost bins are much fuller now and I have started on the huge green dalek again too  :D :D

Thrift

« Reply #1528 on: June 14, 2012, 09:29 »
Looked at the dismal selection of struggling and shivering veg plants. I think the supermarkets are in no danger of bankruptcy this year!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1529 on: June 14, 2012, 11:13 »
Looked at the dismal selection of struggling and shivering veg plants. I think the supermarkets are in no danger of bankruptcy this year!

Couldn't agree more........ and no great sign of future improvement either.  :(

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 30 queries.