What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1545 on: June 17, 2012, 13:20 »
Accidentally unearthed a couple of 30 mm Lady Christl whilst swoe-ing, they'll need a bit longer then. ::) Planted Minipops (5) and Scotland Yellow (2) in the polytunnel. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

plum crumble

« Reply #1546 on: June 17, 2012, 13:52 »
3 hours of weeding round all the onions garlics shallots and spuds. Feed root veg with Factor 8. Plenty more to do yet, but had to come home and wash and scrub up ready for a Fathers Day lunch for OH - whole brood descending! looking forward to scoffing strawbs!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Katejs

« Reply #1547 on: June 17, 2012, 16:26 »
Had a planting frenzy - cavolo nero, purple sprouting broccoli, cauliflowers, Chinese broccoli, courgetes & lettuces.  Didn't have time to do the cabbages!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1548 on: June 17, 2012, 16:46 »
Planted out the reserve sweetcorn (although the first batch is actually looking OK despite the weather it has endured), few more squash and weeded around the onions.

Had a lovely hour bodging building a winter brassica cage ready for PSB and kale to be planted out in, then pulled up the rust covered garlic to bring home and dry in the greenhouse.  Cleaned up OK and my giant Music garlic is not so bad so leaving that a while longer.  Car now smells eeeerrrrrrrrrrr interesting  ::)

AnneB

« Reply #1549 on: June 17, 2012, 19:03 »
Sowed some more carrots, beetroot and parsnips.  Third time lucky, although half a dozen parsnips and a couple of beets did come through from earlier attempts.   

CofE peas have grown overnight and needed tying  up again, they don't seem to be getting the hang of clinging to the chicken wire. 

Boston squash decimated by slugs. Will need a back up.  Did some weeding.

Scared two enormous wood pigeons from next door's cabbages, sadly not much left apart from stalks.  They didn't net the beds.

Covered up the smaller sweetcorn with some improvised cloches made from pop bottles, hoping to protect them until weather improves.

Li

« Reply #1550 on: June 17, 2012, 19:11 »
Ive had a lovely afternoon planted out my gourds on their tumps of compost, shared some left over peas with neighbour, planted rest of turnips and swedes , weeded between beets sowed some more planted up coriander and basil had a chat to the chickens yes i did say chickens lol x

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1551 on: June 17, 2012, 19:23 »
Finally covered the frame hubby built months ago in Enviromesh, and not on the plot but visited Wilko's and saved a fortune on next years seed in the bargain bin :-)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1552 on: June 17, 2012, 22:01 »

Weeded and hoed round the beds,planted kale,cabbage ,dug over another part of the plot to

make another bed .

Planted out courgettes 

frizzy

« Reply #1553 on: June 17, 2012, 22:29 »
Weeded peas and beans, put more supports in for broad beans.  Harvested spinach and turnips.  Transplanted more beetroot and lettuce.  Finished digging over the newly dug strip and sowed lavender and nasturtiums too.  Still waiting for gooseberries to ripen!

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1554 on: June 17, 2012, 23:00 »
Planted out some sunflower plants, very quickly weeded the onions, they need more weeding but I wanted to take out all the poppy plants before they seeded, did a bit of harvesting :D

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1555 on: June 17, 2012, 23:09 »
Last visit to the plot was a few days ago and we managed to dig and mark out another bed around the raspberries that we inherited, we rolled back some more tarpauline to get at the next section of  soil to be dug, I think we are over halfway there to clearing the most useable part of the plot, the next section is in s really sorry state and is going to take some work, but I am pleased with what we have done so far
We now have
Potatoes
Onions
Dwarf beans
Beetroot
Lettuce
Broccoli
Butternut squash
Raspberries
All planted and growing well and I have tomatoes and peppers at home plus I found some strawberry plants in pots at the top of the garden that I didn't realise were any good, so they can go to the plot this week

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1556 on: June 18, 2012, 00:45 »
Just a walk round and inspection of any damage the rain had caused.
Ended up pulling a few weeds 10 min soon became an hour as it does . Still not to much visible damage it is is the seeds put in last week that will suffer if anything will have to wait and see.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1557 on: June 18, 2012, 03:25 »
Sunday was a working day but inbetween whiles:

Planted out beetroot, lettuce and spring onions into a cold-frame on the Veg Plot across the road. One way or another something has to start growing well soon!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Casey76

« Reply #1558 on: June 18, 2012, 09:30 »
On Saturday I pricked out my mystery courgettes into 5in pots.  That'll teach me to oversow in case of poor germination!

I also sowed some lettuce (Maikönig) I'm a little late, but hopefully it'll still be OK, some "Sweet dumpling" squash and some "petit gris de Rennes" melon - all in modules, so hopefully easier to plant out.

martingibson

« Reply #1559 on: June 18, 2012, 11:23 »
Sunday - weeding (lots). Sowed some more french beans,  lettuce and salad leaves. Tidied up the broad beans which were looking a bit windswept. Harvested a little spinach, a few early potatoes and 4 strawberries (well, it is a start!!)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.