What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1365 on: May 25, 2012, 17:23 »
been up and watered the greenhouse and done some hoeing of the few weeds that have shown themselves , checked the Kent blue peas they doing really well now flowers all over the place , checked the cauliflowers all year round type they got curds now about the size of a golf ball, the Monaco calibres are about a week from first cutting , carrots are all coming on great four types broad beans had first picking of today ,then watered runner beans going up poles quite quickly now .
keep allotments alive grow your own

Kim50

« Reply #1366 on: May 25, 2012, 19:45 »
Runner beans planted..grass paths mowed..shook head at non germinating or mice eaten peas...wondered where on earth i am going to plant everything...bursting at the seams at home, everything is ready to be be planted out and there is not enough space for it all...why did i plant so many potatoes and broad beans?  :unsure:

going to be brave and plant out my toms next weekend, just in time for the cold snap !!

jmc1949

« Reply #1367 on: May 25, 2012, 20:44 »
Just had time to spend half an hour watering the plot, with a watering can. Though we don't have a ban we are not allowed to use a hosepipe on our site. 

chairmanphil

« Reply #1368 on: May 25, 2012, 21:10 »
mainly watering, oh and weeding!  :lol:

Li

« Reply #1369 on: May 25, 2012, 21:23 »
I weeding in between my beetroot fun this was  :tongue2: planted out rest of sprouts and cauli had a chat with my runner beans looks like they have stopped growing sat for a break and chatted to our chickens watered then came home 3 hrs in the heat i think was enough for me 

HHH

« Reply #1370 on: May 25, 2012, 21:43 »
Handed over a selection of toms, peppers, cucumbers and french beans that I have been bringing on at home to a former colleague, who wanted them as part of his company's plant sale in aid of charity. Saw him setting out the trestle tables as I went to the station, en route to spend the day watching cricket. Received his email to all contributors, telling us they'd raised £750 for the charity, as I came home home in the evening , happy and sunburnt.

Tomorrow I'll go to the allotment; today has been a good day.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1371 on: May 25, 2012, 23:08 »
Quick visit to the plot today mainly to put netting over the raised bed because there are three cats roaming around our allotment and I think they have been digging it up, I couldn't find any poop so hopefully they weren't using it as a loo :ohmy: We had planted some lettuce seeds in one quarter but they will be all over the place now :(
I also watered everything because it was bone dry and I was going to start digging another bed but it was way too hot and I had a banging headache

Wear a hat and drink loads!!

I always drink lots but didn't even think about wearing a hat, I had been out in the sun nearly all day byt the time I went to the plot and in the end felt quite ill later in the evening :(

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1372 on: May 25, 2012, 23:18 »
We didn't visit the plot until after tea today as it was sooooo hot I could barely stand up never mind dig a hole :lol: it was still hot when we got there but there was a nice warm breeze. We managed to do some more weeding in the area where the  " Raspberries " are growing, they looked quite little and spindly last week but since we have actually started to take care of them they have doubled in size so hopefully they will survive the initial neglect  :unsure:
We also watered the raised bed because it was bone dry again, the lettuce seedlings we planted are just coming through and we think there are a couple of onions coming up too so maybe we can grow something after all :lol: ::)

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1373 on: May 26, 2012, 05:10 »
water at 6am then home fro breakfast
returned after buying some leek plants and 2 toms for the garden.
planted three rows of radishes  three rows of beetroot and three rows of turnips.
runner beans have doubled in size in the last 24 hrs thing are looking uo now we have some sunshine.
john
John
A gardeners work is never done.

wneva

« Reply #1374 on: May 26, 2012, 06:55 »
Water, water, water. 

There are so many things to be done - some weeding, and it's way time to get the strimmer going to check the growth on the paths and edges.  Think i should earth up the few pots that have so far shown themselves.   I've planted a load of plugs - spinach,, chard, kale and parsnips - all doing quite well so far.  I've netted them against the birds.  My webbs lettuces look great - I've recently added some icebergs that are flopping about trying to figure out where they are.  The broad beans are doing nicely. 

I've got two trays of little runners and dwarf french beans slowly coming out on the garden table - every day a few more.  I must get the bean poles in next, I've bought a 5 ft stake to bash in at one end to help keep the structure stable.  Every year it starts out fine, but by August, the weight (I hope) of the plants  makes it totter and lean precariously.

It's all about finding the time to get over there.  The hosepipe ban is a real nuisance - trips to and from the tap take up ages!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1375 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41 »
water at 6am then home fro breakfastreturned after buying some leek plants and 2 toms for the garden.
planted three rows of radishes  three rows of beetroot and three rows of turnips.
runner beans have doubled in size in the last 24 hrs thing are looking uo now we have some sunshine.
john

That's the way to do it!! Early watering - excellent.

I was up and out at midnight tending to the bonfire (as my mother phoned to say she was worried about it...... if only she'd stay in bed!!  :blink:) then maybe early morning watering would have been on the list of "things to do today".   :mellow:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #1376 on: May 26, 2012, 12:53 »
in went purple broccoli harvested 2 barrows of maretail  :wub: cracked a can of fosters open weeded the onions which are trying to bolt  ???  looked proudly at my garlic i will have to post some pics of the lotty at some point all in all a good 5 hours work will be back up there tomorrow again  :D  now im having a beer

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #1377 on: May 26, 2012, 14:24 »
Planted out borlotti beans, sweetcorn, squashes, courgettes and giant pumpkin.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 14:29 by LeeR »

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1378 on: May 26, 2012, 15:56 »
Been up to check how things are doing wall to wall sunshine again today.
Will have to return to water when the sun dips down. Did a bit of weeding but only for an hour.
Checked with the pigeon lads the birds were in France today let up around six should be back by two two thirty depending on the wind direction.
John

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1379 on: May 26, 2012, 19:23 »
every day this week watered and weeded  8)

Today
50c in the greenhouse  :ohmy:
window open door open but tom's and Q's seem to like it
got lots of cherry tom's just waiting for then to go red  :D

butter nut out side in shelter area   
all money maker tom's out side between shed and greenhouse out of the wind
sweet corn doing well 18" tall 16 plants with wind brake round them
beetroot looking happy
lost all cauliflowers just vanes left rest of leaf been eaten  :(
sprouts and broccoli all under netting ( net curtains that was in my bedroom )

planted more lettuce and radish as have eaten the 6 lettuce and all the radishes i had on the plot yum yum    :tongue2:

runners and peas getting a lot bigger
broad beans have lot of flowers  :D
potatoes looking good 

sat in shed only shade on the plot had a cold drink  8)
then home

will go back tonight to water and close greenhouse door

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 31 queries.