I tried and gave up....

• 21 Replies

goodegg

Re: I tried and gave up....
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:40 »
ilet my ducks out on the plot they dont cause much damage at all certainly not as much as the chucks do and they enjoy themselves so much a bit of damage is exceptable to me for the comical things they get up to.

digalotty

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41 »
on my plot we are not allowed any chicks or ducks so the only way for me is blue pellets
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49 »
I use slug pellets on my plot, we aren't allowed livestock either, but I've got ducks at home, and this year I've had the best display of spring bulbs ever! I've had to put wire baskets over the top of the plants to stop them from being trampled, but once they're up you cant see them, and the ducks have done a fantastic job with the slugs and snails.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30 »
My first year I tried to be totally organic but I just found I was catching myself coming backwards all the time, constantly battling weeds and losing crop after crop to slugs and snails.
I use Roundup now on all the paths and around the edges and I use slug pellets too, albeit sparingly. I wouldn't get anywhere otherwise  :lol:.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 13:31 »
The idea of being totally organic is what most gardeners aspire to.  I'm always looking for ways to overcome pest problems without resorting to chemicals.  When I look back to what I and other gardeners were using 20 or 30 years ago, I don't worry too much about slug pellets, especially when they're organic and used as recommended.  :mellow:

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 19:49 »
Tried organic slug pellets. Might as well have given the slugs beer sandwiches....they lapped them up
Thats the whole idea, then they crawl off and die, no unsitely slime trails or dead slugs in piles. nothing worse than cleaning up dead slugs.

That's the thing isn't it. It's easy to think they aren't working because there aren't loads of dead, slimy slugs everywhere. They just crawl away and die out of sight  :) I've used the Growing Success slug pellets for a few years now, and wouldn't use anything else.
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

hamstergbert

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 15:52 »
First choice if I remember (and have enough stashed) is a mixture of sharp grit and a whole load of old coffee grounds, especially for around lettuces and courgettes.  Read on here somewhere that it doesn't work. Hm.  Seems to work for me, or at least appeared to work last year (until I ran out and, er, got too lazy/forgetful) - let's just say I have an entire winter worth of old coffee grounds stored up ready for the plant out times!

Blue pellets of death when unavoidable, preferably in small piles rather than broadcast scattering - it is 'bait' after all - and the alien-style slime mats that result chucked into either the non-recycleable bin or the incinerator.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Ok so i know its late but i gave it a go

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 18:58
by Little Miss Muffet
xx
Someone gave us a free tray of beetroot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 20:28
by BobandJack
xx
I really thought 2010 would be the year when I gave up ................

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 21:45
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 28 queries.