Nasty lettuce and Nasty rads.

• 8 Replies

sclarke624

Nasty lettuce and Nasty rads.
« on: July 07, 2009, 18:40 »
I'm not doing so well this year to the previous three.  Radish and lettuce at start of season great, that was when it was cool and wet.  Next lot when weather started getting warmer not so great.

Lettuce (little gem, parris island, iceberg) now slow and what is left went either mangy, or the compost in the tub was grey mouldy beneath lettuces and there was white dots all over the surface and slugs galore, never had much of a problem with them before.  the radish (french breakfast) leaves are full of holes and brown hollows inside although soil not mouldy.  I change the compost when doing a new batch unless it is in excellant condition.

Those are the two causing me the most probs, I won't mention the unsweet tasting paramex carrots, bolted brussels and broccolli.

Any ideas on the grey mouldy compost, which was of course good when it went in?  Any ideas on the little white specks are they white fly?  I know why the slugs the wet weather.  I am now going to try scarlet globe rads as think they might grow quicker and not go so far into the soil.  I am thinking of growing some lettuce and rads indoors, don't know if it will be too hot.  Maybe I will grow some in the Summer house as well as long as I remember to water, it may keep some bugs off.

I am just a block or two away from the beach and it does get very sunny here don't know if that makes it very humid where I am.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
Re: Nasty lettuce and Nasty rads.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 19:20 »
Sorry to hear your not having much luck  :(

White fly will fly off the plant when moved. The mould might have been caused by the humid weather we've had and yes the slugs are rampant with the rain. I've just renewed my slug traps  :unsure:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

siandc

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 19:27 »
Are the holes tiny?
Look for little black jumping beetles, we had them on our brocolli seedlings, they're flea beetles and love radishes too apparently.

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 22:09 »
They're not that tiny the holes and I haven't seen any flea beetles.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 23:00 »
As for your mouldy bits did you use any slug pellets there, cos i'm finding that they are going mouldy this year..... :(

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 15:28 »
No daren't use slug pellets cos of dog and the birds I feed.  Don't know if it affects either.  But heard some horror stories about dogs and slug pellets that are supposed to be perfctly safe if they eat them, by accident.  Plus grandchild that still puts everythingin his mouth.

I guess it must be the weather.  Must be humidity although sometimes doesn't feel that humid to me although OH says it is, there again my artheritis is protesting that it certainly is humid especially at night.

I am wondering what all those little white dots are though, do you think white fly, are thrips the same thing, must get some bug*** off spray, worked last year on the lilly beetles.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 21:59 »
Could be cabbage root fly in the radishes? Their grubs leave brown tunnels and they rot when very wet :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 00:19 »
My dad had a bag of compost stored in the garage as his greenhouse was chock-a-block.
When we opened the bag it had white mould growing in it - just enough to be a worry.

Damp and warm = mould  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sclarke624

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 01:23 »
Hmmmm!

xx
NASTY NASTY bug eating my cabbage

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2006, 08:08
by Oliveview
xx
What's this nasty black bug?

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 22:36
by Swing Swang
xx
nasty little rodents

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 11:44
by penance
clip
Nasty looking leaves on my beans

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2020, 18:58
by PhilConnors

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 33 queries.