To say I am dissapointed...

• 12 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
To say I am dissapointed...
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:28 »
is an understatement!!
Tried several new beetroots this year, the one beet I was really looking forward to was Burpees Golden, out of a full packet sown I must have about a dozen, I knew germination is eratic on these. I lifted two last night, the taste wasn't there, with the thought of them being the chefs choice (read many times) I was dissapointed. Anyways here a photo of said beets....
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: To say I am dissapointed...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:35 »
Nice plate, shame about the beets!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:39 »
Nice plate, shame about the beets!
Tell me about it  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47 »
Not an expert with beets, don't like them and only grow them for others, so not ventured beyond the bog standard "Boltary" until recently. Trying these, but only because they looked good in the photo!

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Products_F1_Pablo_3832.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:36 by DD. »

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:14 »
Trying these, but only because they looked good in the photo!
http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Products_F1_Pablo_3832.html

I've done Pablo for a the last couple of years they're a little smaller than boltardy, seemed to germinate / grow a little quicker too. I really couldn't tell difference in the taste though.

I'll cross the Burpees Golden off the list for next year if they don't taste like beets should, what other varieties did you try Aidy?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:40 »
Chioggia, this is my fave now, don't boil it, roast or eat raw. Other on the list include...
Bietola da Orto Paonazza d'Egitto, Kestrel and Solo along with Alto (cylindrical) which is our soup beet. The others were similar in taste. Next year it's Chioggia and Alto, although I may try the albino type.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:03 »
I thougt the taste of my burpees golden was ok but hard to tell really when you only get a couple of little ones! They're not joking when they say they have a low germination rate are they! Won't bother again, really not worth it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08 »
Swapped some of my beets for some neighbour's burpees golden and believe me they got the better of that deal, some taste but nowhere near the descriptions you see on the packet. I'll stick with white beetroot from realseeds which in our hands tastes great, raw or baked, and has the added advantage that it doesn't stain.

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 15:19 »
I know a lot of people poo-poo the idea of planting by the moon  :dry: but I thought I'd give it a go this year......Munt got me a nice book and a poster calendar  ;) Anyway, I planted parsnips, carrots and all the roots at the appropriate time and the germination rate was phenominal!!!!!....especially the parsnips. This was the first time ever that I hav'nt had to re-sow them 3 or 4 times!! I'll clear orf now 'cos you are gonna larf at me :blush: :blush:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 15:47 »
I know a lot of people poo-poo the idea of planting by the moon  :dry: but I thought I'd give it a go this year......Munt got me a nice book and a poster calendar  ;) Anyway, I planted parsnips, carrots and all the roots at the appropriate time and the germination rate was phenominal!!!!!....especially the parsnips. This was the first time ever that I hav'nt had to re-sow them 3 or 4 times!! I'll clear orf now 'cos you are gonna larf at me :blush: :blush:
Me pooo poooo lunatic planting  :D. Don't think that would of helped Aggy, they are well known for pooo pooo germination, they were sown the same time as Alto and Chiggoia which pretty much all came up, I think its the gentics of the beet. How is Munty anyway? Say hello not seen or heard of him for a while.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 19:09 »
Again this year, I planted Burpee Golden beets and half the seeds germinated, which is okay as I planted a lot knowing this. The flavour in itself is a bit bland, but I grow them to mix with red beets for a cold beet salad with vinaigrette. The colour contrast is very appealing and you don't notice the lack of golden taste when mixed with the stronger red. I've grown chioggas but find all the colour blanches out no matter how I cooked them.

mumsy

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 20:16 »

I'll not laugh at you Aggy.................. I planted by the moon last year.  I didn't think it made a difference......didn't bother this year............BUT ME................................
carrots.....didn't germinate :tongue2:
beetroot...got scorched :tongue2:
potatoes.....well, shouldn't have bothered :tongue2:
Garlic......rotted :tongue2:

Will definatley be getting next year's book ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

agapanthus

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 23:31 »

I'll not laugh at you Aggy.................. I planted by the moon last year.  I didn't think it made a difference......didn't bother this year............BUT ME................................
carrots.....didn't germinate :tongue2:
beetroot...got scorched :tongue2:
potatoes.....well, shouldn't have bothered :tongue2:
Garlic......rotted :tongue2:

Will definatley be getting next year's book ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I've had some brilliant crops this year by doing it this way......they've all taken a lot longer...but then I put it down to living up here...the cabbages have been enormous and the calabrese  heads as big as dinner plates :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Sory Aidy for hi-jacking your thread :blush: :blush:

xx
Dissapointed with this years garlic (music )

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 22:16
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 37 queries.