chilli peppers

• 5 Replies

tracy d

chilli peppers
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:32 »
i have just bought some peruvian purple chilli seeds, how do i plant them, now or wait untill its a little warmer? :?

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
chilli peppers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:39 »
Ideally these should have been planted a few months ago, indoors. But to give them the best chance they really need to get planted asap.  They really need to be grown indoors or in a greenhouse to get any chillies from them.

I was a little bit late sowing mine - last month - I'm hoping we get some nice warm weather so they can catch up.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
chilli peppers
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:44 »
I should also have mentioned that they need warmth to germinate - 18 to 22 deg C. I sow mine in an electric propagator but anywhere with a constant warm temperature will do.

Jilllrabbitslim

chilli peppers
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 20:21 »
I had some success last year sowing indoors and growing them in my conservatory. If you get them planted now you should be harvesting the fruit later this year.

I fed mine with tomato feed which they seemed to love!

Sharkwatch

chilli peppers
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 08:50 »
Tracy D,

Ideally the seeds should have been in the soil about two months ago but if you get them in now they will catch up and you should get a good crop of fruit. The Peruvian Purple is an annuum variety and as such is one of the faster growing varieties of chillis so early planting is not as as vital as the chinense type (such as the Habanero).

The seeds should be planted just below the surface of the soil as they do not have the energy for a long push to the surface, i place mine on top of the soil and sprinkle a light layer of compost on top and use a spray bottle to moisten. They should then be covered and placed in a warm place such as a heated propagator or airing cupboard and kept damp but not soaked - up to about 30C is best for fast germination. Mine get placed in my television cabinet with the various electrical boxes in there keeping the temperature to about 30C.

As soon as the seedlings are showing at the surface, light becomes more important than heat so a bright windowsill is ideal but be careful with strong sunlight at a very young age.

The plants will do well on a windowsill and look pretty as the Peruvian Purple are an ornamental variety. They will also do very well in a greenhouse and reasonably well outside open to the elements as long as they are kept in a sunny position which is relatively sheltered from the wind.

Feed them a general fertilizer (I use Baby Bio) at the seedling stage to produce fast leaf, stem and root growth and at the first sign of flowering move to a tomato feed, many recommend half strength tomato feed but I use full strength with good results.

Finally don't forget that you can overwinter chilli plants in a heated greenhouse or indoors on a windowsill for an early start next season, one of mine (Explosive Ember - very similar to the Peruvian Purple) has produced fruit throughout winter.

Hope this helps, any more questions then ask away,

Sharkwatch (Chilli Guru)

tracy d

chilli peppers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 13:26 »
thanks, that was very helpfull, i will get them in the airing cupboard this afternoon :D

xx
Chilli Peppers

Started by WirralWally on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 14:25
by WirralWally
xx
Hot chilli peppers.

Started by kathrose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 13:41
by kathrose
xx
chilli peppers

Started by doctorangler on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 16:33
by Yorkie
xx
Chilli peppers

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 13:31
by fibilou

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 31 queries.